Opinions on a build

Owl city

Looking to build my first new long range hunting rifle, was wondering if it's cheaper to round up all the parts yourself, action,barrel,stock etc.. And then have a gunsmith put it together, or just commission a builder right away! Not sure if it's cheaper, or if it's worth the headaches of shipping it back and forth!

I have done it both ways, I actually prefer to buy all the parts myself and then have the smith down the road assemble it. Two years ago it may have been a different answer but since I am still waiting on one that I put a deposit on back then i have changed the way I do business.

With the prices nowadays you can get a barreled custom action for 13-1500. Guess it depends on budget, caliber and use

One smith I like wants $500.00 down and the balance when he's finished.
We decide just what I want..He orders everything. An upgraded A-5 stock takes
about 6 months to get. Barrels aren't much faster. I let him do the worrying and
the ordering. He calls when he's done...Easy as can be! Here's a 300 Win Mag he made me. 300-Win-Mag-2-1.jpg 300-Win-Mag-4.jpg

http://rcrouserifles.com/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.