Opinions on a build

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Owl city, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Owl city

Owl city Member

Looking to build my first new long range hunting rifle, was wondering if it’s cheaper to round up all the parts yourself, action,barrel,stock etc.. And then have a gunsmith put it together, or just commission a builder right away! Not sure if it’s cheaper, or if it’s worth the headaches of shipping it back and forth!

2. cjuve

cjuve Well-Known Member

I have done it both ways, I actually prefer to buy all the parts myself and then have the smith down the road assemble it. Two years ago it may have been a different answer but since I am still waiting on one that I put a deposit on back then i have changed the way I do business.

3. Garett

Garett Well-Known Member

With the prices nowadays you can get a barreled custom action for 13-1500. Guess it depends on budget, caliber and use

4. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member

One smith I like wants $500.00 down and the balance when he's finished.
    We decide just what I want..He orders everything. An upgraded A-5 stock takes
    about 6 months to get. Barrels aren't much faster. I let him do the worrying and
    the ordering. He calls when he's done...Easy as can be! Here's a 300 Win Mag he made me. 300-Win-Mag-2-1.jpg 300-Win-Mag-4.jpg

http://rcrouserifles.com/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  5. KyCarl

KyCarl Well-Known Member