Opinions on build vs custom

morning, research what the forum suggest in action make, barrels, triggers

and stocks. depending of what state u r in. find a very good smith. talk to

forum for more experiences of the older shooter. all of the suggestions

r very good. I have used the info on this site to build custom rifles of

my own. have built what U want. have fun. THK U.lightbulb:)gun)

Life member
NRA, TSRA, OSRA.

I only use Jewell triggers. They are made about 35 miles from my house and I have watched them being put together.
Brian Jewell runs a 1st class organization

Decided to keep the Sendero. Its the newer version so yes it needs a trigger. Also after quite a bit of debate I'm ordering a GAP 6.5 4S extreme hunter. Lots of money and the wait is going to suck but I couldn't help myself. The creedmoor will have to wait for another day.

I will say I saw a nice 6.5 creed on the range yesterday, suppressed and It was pretty sweet. Suppressed it sounded about like a sub sonic 22, very impressed.

Ok I finished my 260 rifle, I purchased a Remington 700 sps, & replaced the stock, trigger & glass bedded the recoil lug, I just started to break her in & still working on reloads for it. I want to custom build a 300 RUM that will be for hunting so I don't want this rifle to weigh 20 lbs. I'm leaning towards buying the action, barrel, trigger & having a gunsmith assemble for me, well at least the action to barrel. Anyone have any suggestions on mfg's & gunsmith's?
I was leaning towards defiance action, & I'm not sure on mfg of barrel yet but would like any suggestions you may have. I've heard both good & bad on lilja barrels, however you can say that on pretty much a lot of the barrel mfg's out there. Any help or suggestions?
Thanks, Brad

In the OP you talked about LR compitition. Exactly what kind of comp? Are you talking about LR benchrest/"F" class, or more on the lines of PRS? Ginormas difference in equipment.

Tod

Order you a Timney Calvin Elite trigger from On The Mark Tactical (OTM) for $155. You won't be disappointed. It's adjustable & comes set at 1.5#'s.
When shooting mine, I sometimes look to see if it's the CE or my Jewell that's in it.
If you prefer, they make the CE in a two stage, adjustable, and set at 1.5# take up and 8oz. break. I think they are $165. I have both, 4 Jewell's & 3 Calvin Elite's. They both are awesome!

Jim D

I've had my eye on a McWhorter 6.5 Creedmoor. Only thing holding me back is the price tag. If I went that route I would take the scope off my Sendero and put it on the new gun and sell the Sendero. Seems like it would make for a better target gun and still adequate for game up to deer size.

The itch is strong.

Take a look at the MPA precision rifles. They are making the most often used chassis stock for the PRS series and have complete rifles ready to go for competition at very reasonable prices or will build on your receiver.

http://masterpiecearms.com/mpa-ba-evolution/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.