advice on custom build

jimsbriar

hi folks, this is my first thread!:)

I have been searching for a 260 rem, but I have not been having much luck. I have decided it might be an awesome challenge to build one myself.

can you guys/gals point me in the right direction?

is this something I could do on my own?

Are there any good videos out there?

thanks

If you want to build the rifle yourself, start with a Savage action. Then get a prefit barrel in 260. Then all you need is a barrel nut wrench and a go-gauge.

From there, the choices are infinite, but you can find the parts you like to do the rest yourself too...

trigger
stock
bedding
rings & bases
optics

Do you want to do the whole "build" on your own, or just piece it together?

If you what to do the whole thing, I would have to agree with the above post, otherwise...

What is your budget?

What is this rifle's main mission?

Is there a particular bullet/velocity you are looking for?

well, I guess its only fair that I share a little about myself. I reload, shoot and hunt too much. Yes I admit it, I am an addict!:D

that being said, i am also an engineer and will forever be fasanated with tinkering about and always trying to improve things....buiding the better mouse trap so to speak. so, that being said, I thought it would be a neat endeadvor to build a long range hunting rifle. The 260 rem.

The reason I have picked the 260, if for no other reason, than the fact that ....aaaaahhhh heck, I just want one! I love the low recoil, shootability, and medium to long range capability. of course, when I say long range I am talking 500-800 yards. to many of you, thats like shooting fish in a barrel. but, thats why I am here, to bleed info from the experts.

As for gunsmithing, I have done some. mostly in the areas of trigger work, bedding/free floating barrels, lapping scope rings...... Just the simple stuff

my ultimate goal is a medium to long range precision hunting rifle in 260 rem.

if you were in my shoes what would you do? as for price, like all I would love to save some bucks and do some of the work myself, but I do not want money/pride to compromise the integrity of the finished product.

how would you build this and where do I begin?

You've made one decision in cartridge choice. 260 is a great cartridge. (I have one... http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/ )

Next decisions:

Purpose for rifle: 'carry gun' that's long range capable, dedicated longrange hunter, or like mine, tactical rifle that doubles as longrange hunter.

From that decision, will drive other decisions: barrel contour, type of stock, optics etc.

In terms of saving a few $$, as I said before, start with a Savage action. Prefit barrels are inexpensive and installing the barrel you can do yourself with some specific tools - barrel nut wrench and go gauge. I am sure if you search youtube you will be able to find a 'how-to' video.

As for everything else, it sounds as though you can/have done them already - install trigger, bed action etc.

260 is a great cartridge. I originally had my Surgeon chambered in 260 but recently re-barreled it in 6.5 Creedmoor because of the accuracy and availability of factory match ammunition which is helpful when I don't have time to reload for a match.

I would start first by picking an action that you like and then building from there. If you want to do the bulk of the work yourself you have two great options.

I know there are several companies that make pre-cut barrels in 260 for both the Savage and Remington 700 actions. The Savage/Stevens would be much easier to fit the barrel to than the 700, but I am partial to 700s because they just feel better to me. I would suggest getting out and spending time behind both actions and decide which you like better.

There are an infinite number of stocks and accessories for both actions, but what some companies make for one action they may not make for the other, and vice versa (i.e. the AICS line of stocks has inlets for the 700 but not the Savage). This may influence your decision on which action to choose.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.