Opinions: Do buyers prefer a new custom rifle to be shot with demonstrated accuracy, or an unfired rifle?

Opinion: I would much prefer to see a three-shot group on a paper target, fired outdoors at 100 yards, with Load data, or Brand of factory Ammo with bullet weight specified. Thats real world , for that specific rifle. By the way, Weatherby used to include a target, in the box, with every Mark V Rifle back in the 70's . they used Weatherby factory ammo, 270 Weatherby Mag, 130 Grn. Bullet, 3 shots 100 yards. In that specific rifle. Not much confusion. You saw what your rifle can do right out of the box. Love it . IMHO

Choot'em prior to sale. Providing some knowledge of precision would be preferred by the masses of potential buyers. Especially to those less experienced, and less proficient with rifles.

Opinion: I would much prefer to see a three-shot group on a paper target, fired outdoors at 100 yards, with Load data, or Brand of factory Ammo with bullet weight specified. Thats real world , for that specific rifle. By the way, Weatherby used to include a target, in the box, with every Mark V Rifle back in the 70's . they used Weatherby factory ammo, 270 Weatherby Mag, 130 Grn. Bullet, 3 shots 100 yards. In that specific rifle. Not much confusion. You saw what your rifle can do right out of the box. Love it . IMHO
X2!!
Having a target with load data is real world and presents the rifle with a known accuracy. The load data provides at least a stake in the ground to start your own development or just go with what works.

I'd prefer a proven rifle, but I don't want to buy it "new" with 200 rounds down the tube either. My last custom rifle came with 100 rounds of hand-rolled ammo and the recipe to make more. My own loads are holding right there with his, so I'm a happy camper.

If you are a member of this forum, could you really just shoot a 3 shot group and be done? I think once you shoot it, you start down the rabbit hole. Buyers of quality components will have all kinds of expectations and some fantasies. Even if you shoot a great group, will they be able to? If you don't provide a target, it's purely buyer beware and on them to sort it out. Leave accuracy promises to the makers and smiths.

If you are a member of this forum, could you really just shoot a 3 shot group and be done? I think once you shoot it, you start down the rabbit hole. Buyers of quality components will have all kinds of expectations and some fantasies. Even if you shoot a great group, will they be able to? If you don't provide a target, it's purely buyer beware and on them to sort it out. Leave accuracy promises to the makers and smiths.
It's not a promise it's proof,you do the load work up you give them the recipe and the target they should be able to reproduce it.

Last edited:
I believe they did that with the vanguards too, 1.5" @100yds.

In your case,the rifle is new,unfired and stock is not bedded.Because the stock is not bedded,the rifle may not show it's true accuracy.You could fire a bunch of rounds and not come up with a really good shooting load.Myself,I would rather buy the rifle unfired,bed the stock and do my own load development.The company that built the rifle most likely does quality work and the barrel used in the build is also most likely to shoot well too.

I believe they did that with the vanguards too, 1.5" @100yds.
And at one time 1.5" group accuracy was considered really good.Now most rifles will shoot under 1".Most of my rifles will shoot around .5".The better your rifles shoot,the pickier you become about accuracy.

I would think selling a custom rifle that has not been bedded or tested for accuracy is less desirable than finishing the project with a proper bedding job and test target prior to sale.

Recent Posts