Offseason cartridge decision

What bullet at what velocity are you shooting? How is coal?
250gr GMX and Perigrene VLR's right around 2850. I'd have to check the caliper but I loaded them a good bit longer than factory but just short of being tight in the magbox and it's a standard length magnum winchester 70 mag box.

I was using RL19 but picked up some RL 17 to try to see if I can get a little more velocity without getting into pressure issues.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I recently took delivery of a re-barreled Sako TRG in 300WM with a christensen carbon barrel. It's a very accurate rifle and with all available accessories, it's 10lbs ready to hunt. That's the rifle I'd carry when walking up and down for very long. Then I decided I'd like a nice heavier long range rig like what you're contemplating. I'm having a 338RUM built to be that long range elk hammer. I'll try to run 300's up to 2800 or so. With a couple new brass sources for the RUM, it's definitely a good option. It's a little shorter than the Edge and uses a regular mag bolt face, so no special action to build it on. While the 30's work great, I'll bet the big 338's will work greater. You're over 2000ft/lbs past 1000yds with the 300gr berger or SMK, so why not try a big gun?

I bought all my current rum brass from atlas development group. It's very good brass. You can also get Peterson or maybe get lucky and find some remington factory. The ADG brass is brand new manufacture here in the USA.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.