.308 Decision

HogWildFL

Looking for some advice to get the rifle I need. Im deciding between an Remington Varmit SF and the Browning x Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in .308. Im looking for a dependable all around rifle for shots up to 400 yards. I know they are capable of shooting farther but I am not an expert. I have shot my whole life but have been limited to the typical 150 yard shot in the Southeast. I need something that I can learn on and become confident. Target shooting to pass the time after the hunt is a plus. I would like to learn long distance shooting but will not be competing. The Remington offers a longer barrel and the dependable 700 action along with being stainless. The Hell's Canyon is 2 pounds lighter and is glass bedded and free floating with the cera coat. The difference in these 2 rifles is like night and day but are the 2 that caught my eye. The questions I have are what benefits if any are there from the longer barrel on the Remington? How much louder is the muzzle break on the .308? Does the difference of 2 pounds help with longer range shooting? Is there a major difference in having a bedded action and free floated barrel for my use? Which would be better for me to become confident/learn long range hunting? Reduced recoil is a consideration due to a severe rotator cuff injury, which would you consider to be less if any?For those that have used these which one would you recommend that would be the most "shooter friendly" to learn with?
For optics I have narrowed it down to the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 or the Vortex HS LR 4-20x50. I like that the Burris has covered turrets and the BDC is easy to see and and understand. On the other hand I love my Vortex on my muzzle loader. The HS LR has one open turret and many more BDC's. Vortex also has a very informative web site. Any experience or suggestions would be great.
I have just joined this forum but have gotten allot of information off of it in the past. Thank you for the many knowledgeable experts that share so much. If there are any other suggestion it would be great. I am just trying to make a decision on a rifle that I can primarily hunt with but enjoy shooting as well. I need all the help I can get to get the right rifle to enjoy and make ethical kill shots out to 400yds. Thank You!

Check out the Remington 700 5-R Mil-spec in .308 Win. 24" barrel. Love mine, shoots 175-178 grain just great. It also comes in a treaded 20" version.

Tom

HOGWILDFL, I have to agree on the Remington 700 Mil-Spec, 5R. I have one in 308, & love it! They are a bit heavy for a pack around 'hunting' rifle. But, they all seem to be very consistent, & accurate. I believe they come in both 24", & 20", the 20"er being threaded. Good luck with your decision! Idaho-5R

Some thoughts on your situation. If you want to practice and get good at shooting you need to shoot. To make that more pleasant so you can do it a lot, I'd drop down to a 260 Rem were I you. Less recoil, higher BC bullets. And you won't need a brake which would make the rifle unshootable without hearing protection meaning jump shooting game would required you to put hearing protection on before shooting which is a problem.

Weight is good for shooting long range and though 400 yards isn't long range, still I would not go less than 9 pounds full up. Also cuts recoil. My long range rigs weigh in the 11.5 pound range. I have no problem carrying them anywhere and that includes some of the more rugged country in Montana, Idaho and Washington.

If you like covered turrets the Vortex HS has them plus the turrets have a nice pull up to zero feature. I've got several Vortex and they have all been good scopes. Good luck whatever you choose.

Looking for some advice to get the rifle I need. Im deciding between an Remington Varmit SF and the Browning x Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in .308. Im looking for a dependable all around rifle for shots up to 400 yards. I know they are capable of shooting farther but I am not an expert. I have shot my whole life but have been limited to the typical 150 yard shot in the Southeast. I need something that I can learn on and become confident. Target shooting to pass the time after the hunt is a plus. I would like to learn long distance shooting but will not be competing. The Remington offers a longer barrel and the dependable 700 action along with being stainless. The Hell's Canyon is 2 pounds lighter and is glass bedded and free floating with the cera coat. The difference in these 2 rifles is like night and day but are the 2 that caught my eye. The questions I have are what benefits if any are there from the longer barrel on the Remington? How much louder is the muzzle break on the .308?
For optics I have narrowed it down to the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 or the Vortex HS LR 4-20x50. I like that the Burris has covered turrets and the BDC is easy to see and and understand. On the other hand I love my Vortex on my muzzle loader. The HS LR has one open turret and many more BDC's. Vortex also has a very informative web site. Any experience or suggestions would be great.
The muzze bake will be a lot louder, and easier on your shoulder.
I have a Veracity 4-20 varmint and is one of my favorite scopes, I would highly recommend it.

Thanks, I looked thru both scopes yesterday and the Burris wins for me even though I love my Vortex. what are your thoughts between the 2 rifles? The Browning's muzzle break can be taken off and capped. There again I have had great luck with the Remington 700's but always looking out of the box.

Thanks, I looked thru both scopes yesterday and the Burris wins for me even though I love my Vortex. what are your thoughts between the 2 rifles? The Browning's muzzle break can be taken off and capped. There again I have had great luck with the Remington 700's but always looking out of the box.

I have two Vortex PST 6-24 and would trade them both for Varacity.
If I'm honest about it ,I'm tragically addicted to Savages. But since you asked ( and I hate to open a big *** can of worms here) . If I bought the Remington I'd throw away the stock and trigger right away! And get a Jewell trigger and an HS Precision stock. It would be cheaper for ME personally to buy a Rem. 5r Gen 2. And I cannot comment on the Browning because I have never owned one.

Browning X-Bolt. No question, unless the new Tikka model tickles yer fancy.

For customizing the Tikka has more parts available.
For me 3 lug bolt rifles are better for a lot of reasons. I have two Rugers (American Predator and Precision Rifle) and one Browning A-Bolt. All are 3 lug bolt guns and I love 'em all.

Eric B.

Thank you to everyone. I think I have it nailed down! The .308 decision was made by my 10 year old daughter (who owns many rifles and dont have a one!). Myself being a 7mm-08 fan I will get the Browning Hell's Canyon in 7mm-08 and get her a Remington Varmit SF .308 with a Magpul stock and then decide on a trigger (She had a good report card). Both Burris on the .308 and Vortex on the 7mm-08. I feel these would be good for our area of hunting and be able to enjoy spending time at our range my father and I just completed. Thanks again, she is pulling at my shirt tail ready to go hunting this afternoon!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.