Scope Decision

Why not return your scope to Leupold and get the reticle replaced?

Is it a Mk4 6x20? Can't do much better than that. The mk4 4.5-14x 50mm illuminated is a great all-around scope. The Tactical Milling Reticle with matched turrets is very functional AND Responsive.

Not a big difference between Mils and Moa. The 4.5-14x is really excellent on small receiver rifles and ARs. Not like the .300wby is a small receiver ctg, but for compact size, excellent brightness, and with TMR, a reticle you can just use holdovers in a hurry, and illum too; you can be Fast Responding. If you shoot a 20lb rifle off a tripod, no such concerns, but the scope is lightweight at about 22oz, and the 50mm gives excellent low light recognition.

More critical than your scope is your mount system. If intending to shoot 1000yds or more, then look at Near Mfg's bases and rings. There are alots of competitive priced tactical scopes out there which get touted up. I've owned 2 Nightforce NXS, a Zeiss dialyt, and sold them all. Sight picture on a riflescope don't need to be Zeiss spotter perfect! Your scope is a SIGHT, not a camera lens. Consider the Palma shooters that deilver 1/2 moa groups at 1000yds using micrometer Irons. Maybe a magnification iris for the aperture, but Irons... Your sight picture isn't the superb optical resolution so many chase... What matters is Precision elevation and windage movements and a good clean resolve of the crosshair on your target. You don't need to be able to count the nostril hairs on a bull elk at 800yds.... Maybe being able to count the freckles on his nose is good enough?

The TMR reticle with Illum is very versatile and proven. I have had my MK4s serviced by Leupold and shipped back within 48hrs of their being received in Beaverton(?). Wherever they are in OR. One other thing, be sure to compare warranty service and whether the scopemaker/scopeseller has a technical warranty service center rather than just swapping scopes. Several high $ Euro makers do not service in the USA; and their warranty decisions can be whimsical.... One Euro company I bought a $1400 scope denied my request for service; saying "I took the scope outside and looked through it, seemed okay to me".... Except at low and high magnification, it was like looking through a coke bottle. Calling in to complain about their less than scientific approach, the 2nd banana told me, "Thats okay buddy, you didn't buy this scope to use at low power anyway!"

Nightforce stuff is very good, if you don't mind a scope that is very heavy.

I'm a NF fan. I own way too many but love all of them. I strongly suggest you go to their web site and slowly go through the models, reticles, features, etc. Then stay on this site and find one for sale. I bought almost all of mine here at a lot less than retail. They are very strong scopes and all I purchased here have been flawless. Two things I love about some of them is that you can illuminate the reticle and some have the zero stop feature, which is great for shooting differing ranges. I honestly don't think there's a stronger built scope than NF nor more accurate dialing of elevation and windage unless you pay a lot more. Just my opinion.

I'm a NF fan. I own way too many but love all of them. I strongly suggest you go to their web site and slowly go through the models, reticles, features, etc. Then stay on this site and find one for sale. I bought almost all of mine here at a lot less than retail. They are very strong scopes and all I purchased here have been flawless. Two things I love about some of them is that you can illuminate the reticle and some have the zero stop feature, which is great for shooting differing ranges. I honestly don't think there's a stronger built scope than NF nor more accurate dialing of elevation and windage unless you pay a lot more. Just my opinion.
Thanks to everyone for their input. I have just recently joined this sight and am very impressed with the feedback and insight each and everyone provided. I got a good deal on a Zeiss V6 5X30 with VBR reticle. I have a friend who is a serious long range shooter who's go to is a Desert Tech 338 LAPUA with Schmidt and Bender PMII. Obviously this is out of my price range and needs and he told me at my price range he liked the Zeiss V6. I looked through and played with one and it is what I chose.

Time will tell, but appreciate everyone's input.

Until next time

Take Care!

Out of all the scopes i have I prefer Zeiss far and above the rest.
Zeiss, Kahles, and March are some of the best glass I've ever looked through. I don't own a March, but I do have the others, and clarity and low-light has NEVER been an issue with any of them.

Husksamaw, trijicon, NF, S&B can't go wrong, if you hunt more than steel shoot the non battery illumination of trijicon moves it way up the list for me ! Have them on almost all my hunting rifles , with S&B and Zeiss on target set ups.

^this is what I put on my GAP 30 Nosler. Really liking it so far.

all these scopes yall are suggesting weigh a ton and are meant for dedicated long range PRS match shooting, not hunting. the rifle weighs enough.

^this is why I went with the V6. I would have spent the extra $ on the 4-16 ATACR but the rifle already weighs plenty.

Looking for good advice from all the knowledge here.

I am looking to purchase a new scope for my rifle in 300 WBY. I currently have a Mark 4 6X20 that has a mil reticle. I have no idea (other than good deal at time) why I purchased scope with Mil reticle and MOA turrets.

I am looking for scope with MOA reticle for long deer hunting and shooting steel.

If you were going to purchase a new scope what Make/Model and reticle would you purchase.

Thanks as always for any advice!
The MK4 is a good scope but I would prefer MOA all around. Most of us will have a range finder so that aspect of the mil dot is moot. schmidt and Bender is the best glass I ever looked through

Consider a made for you rifle range adjusting turret for your rifle. That Leupold scope is very good and this would be matched to your rifle using your data.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.