decision to make

william101

My father wants either one of these, need help with just one. A Remington sps in Remington 300 RUM or a Remington BDL in 7mm RUM, which one would you use or buy if only given one of these for anywhere in North America?? I know there are others but he only wants either one of these. Short range and long out to 500 to 600 yds. Thanks for any help

The 7 will shoot flatter and the 300 will hit harder. The 300 will also a get good bit better barrel life. Expect about a 1000 rounds from the 300 and about 500 or so from the 7 if treated well. Hope he reloads because RUM ammo is very expensive and hard to find with little choices. Also, sporter barrels in those chambers will likely be finicky in finding an accurate load.

+1 to what Mark said. I have both these rifles and I love how flat the 7RUM is but the killing power of the 300 at longer ranges it worth having. Reloading is a must!!

My choice.....300 RUM

If he wants a monster big bore....Get a Rem 700 and have a .338 Excalibur barrel installed. :D

If he does, I hope he handloads.

.338 RUM is also a good one for barrel life, and LR smack down.

Both good calibers, but another vote here for the 300. If/when Berger gets the 195 out for the 7mm, that could be a game changer, but for now it is the 300.

Both good calibers, but another vote here for the 300. If/when Berger gets the 195 out for the 7mm, that could be a game changer, but for now it is the 300.
The 7mm 180 VLD's already hit like a sledge hammer... Just ask the plywood backstop @ my local range. There's some CHUNKS missing where I always sit. :D

The 7mm 180 VLD's already hit like a sledge hammer... Just ask the plywood backstop @ my local range. There's some CHUNKS missing where I always sit. :D

Yeah, I was just speaking from a ballistic standpoint. The numbers some people are getting with the 180's is very solid though! I think either choice the OP makes, they won't be disappointed.

Thanks to everyone for all the informative input. It sounds like based on the helpful info I relayed to my Dad. Hes looking at me ordering him a remington tactical sps with 26 inch barrel chambered in 300 remington ultra mag. He wants to put a Bushnell yardage pro ranging scope 4x12 with a 42mm obj

I have killed 8 Bull elk, 5 White tail, and 2 black bear ALL out past 400 yards (last years bull elk 805 yrds) with my factory 7 rum. I also have a 338 rum but have yet to hunt with it, it will be my primary rig this year though. I'm working on a 300 rum load development for a buddy and I personally would never own one. I don't care how hard a round hits, all I want out of my rifle is to poke a little hole though both lungs and DONE! (I shoot the 160 accubonds and have NEVER lost an animal and get minimal meat loss) shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. Go with the Flat and Fast and you will never look back. They do eat barrels, but I have shot the heck out of mine and am just now replacing my first one. Just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.