dilemma: Need Info Prior to Decision

No, but HK and I are life "Blue Lynx" members of the Alaska Trapper's Association and while I don't know him personally I surely know of him and his great family. I had no idea he had a series of videos exposing his reality of solitude. I'm honored by your question; the Korths are icons of the past that I strive to remain in every day. The difference is that I live in a village with electricity and telephones (the latter even works sometimes) and thus modernity--while still living the subsistence life--the Korths remain the marque epitomized by us others. Thank You

Bogger1: I hope I didn't offend with my question. I've heard and even seen some illustrations of a "tube rifle," but lack any definition/description of one. Perhaps I should have been more accurate and circumspect when commenting about your rifle chassis: While I surely admire--even covet--a great looking and fabulous wood stocked rifle I own and use more functionally appropriate tools. Your 338 edge appears to be what I see as a true LR rifle--to hunt or target. Its given me something to think about and I sincerely appreciate all your responses.

There has been a question of Savage and Remington actions not holding up to the 338 Lapua. Would the Winchester M70 action spark a similar debate? That said, if possible I would go with the Lapua.

Aside from anecdotal experience and the same of friends--of which none have a Lapua--I've got an article that's very interesting that deals with comparing actions to the M70: Winchester M70 (Bart Bobbitt)

I believe the 375 M70 is longer than their regular long action, but even if so, would the bolt face diameter safely accommodate the larger Lapua? Then too there may be magazine issues...

Here's some shots of my moose "honey hole" with moose where I'd shoot if I had the right setup. There's two bulls and a cow in the first photo, no moose that I'm aware of in the rest, but two trumpeter swans in the last.

3fingervic: I should have added: total population (home) when combining both villages, but not including "transients" is 20.

Attachments

• 3AREDB~1.jpg
    3AREDB~1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 49
  • CLEARL~1.JPG
    CLEARL~1.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 78
  • HUNTIN~1.JPG
    HUNTIN~1.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 53
  • LAKE_S~1.JPG
    LAKE_S~1.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 69
i haven't heard of the remington actions being unsuitable for the 338 lapua but i have heard of the savages not being strong enough.i talked to a gunsmith about it one time and he said the 338 lapua pressures in a savage could cause problems.how much of that is fact isn't up to me to decide.i haven't heard of a 338 lapua on a winchester action but i don't see why not.there are a lot of high pressure loads chambered in the winchester action so i would say ask a competend gunsmith and see what his thoughts are on this.

These are some of the things I hoped to learn--and am--I like to get as many views as possible, particularly important things. I usually make better decisions as a result.

Here's another one just to show all that I've got a lot to learn; on this site I've seen reference to "free recoil." I just assumed that all these rifles were shot from the shoulder, either prone or from a bench rest. Is there some sort of recoil absorbing front-rear rest that's used? I've seen these in the Cabela's catalogs (I'm thinking of building a trap line cabin out of those catalogs!)

If you look at the photos I inserted this morning they give some idea of some of the shooting available. Heretofore we've canoed/sneaked up on these moose, and yes, I have the equipment to haul any moose just about anywhere. I'm tempted to put some after-the-fact-when-the-work-starts photos in here.

Like most animals the quicker death comes the better they taste; I had to pass up the biggest bull I ever saw--anywhere--due the range. He came right to the calling, but was in heavy willows then spruce and although I think I could have gotten him I passed. Half hour later he showed up around 600 yards down from in an old beaver pond meadow where, if I was capable and had a LR outfit I'd have got him. A big factor remains before we shoot we have to know we can get the entire moose out; I've shot five while alone. Two of those were easy; a snogo for one and the Honda for the other, right up to them. The other three were nightmares in spite of all the extraction gear...

So I prefer instant death and have to chose where to drop them. A good LR outfit makes sense.

Last edited:
These are some of the things I hoped to learn--and am--I like to get as many views as possible, particularly important things. I usually make better decisions as a result.

Here's another one just to show all that I've got a lot to learn; on this site I've seen reference to "free recoil." I just assumed that all these rifles were shot from the shoulder, either prone or from a bench rest. Is there some sort of recoil absorbing front-rear rest that's used? I've seen these in the Cabela's catalogs (I'm thinking of building a trap line cabin out of those catalogs!)

If you look at the photos I inserted this morning they give some idea of some of the shooting available. Heretofore we've canoed/sneaked up on these moose, and yes, I have the equipment to haul any moose just about anywhere. I'm tempted to put some after-the-fact-when-the-work-starts photos in here.

Like most animals the quicker death comes the better they taste; I had to pass up the biggest bull I ever saw--anywhere--due the range. He came right to the calling, but was in heavy willows then spruce and although I think I could have gotten him I passed. Half hour later he showed up around 600 yards down from in an old beaver pond meadow where, if I was capable and had a LR outfit I'd have got him. A big factor remains before we shoot we have to know we can get the entire moose out; I've shot five while alone. Two of those were easy; a snogo for one and the Honda for the other, right up to them. The other three were nightmares in spite of all the extraction gear...

So I prefer instant death and have to chose where to drop them. A good LR outfit makes sense.
Back in the seventies my dad and a buddy made an Elk/Mule Deer trip to Colorado, near Platoro/Ozier Station.

Dad got his bull early on the second day (trip planned for 7-10 days), so they spent the balance of the trip trying to get his buddy either a nice Muley or Bull.

On day seven his buddy got a shot at a 350 class Muley that was just a monster.

Unfortunately they both got so excited when they saw him they failed to consider getting him out.

The buck dropped with a single shot at a little over 850yds as he was picking his way through a slide crossing the face, and proceeded to slide about 300 feet down into a deep, deep, narrow and very steep ravine.

They had horses and a mule and so packing it out was easy once they got the rack, cape and meat where they could load it.

Unfortunately due to the terrain it turned into a five down mountaineering expedition to get it all out. It took two full days just to get to it the first time plus three very difficult trips a piece up and down the sheer drop on a rope to get it all out.

You make a very good point about having to be sure your intended target can be dropped where you can get it out.

to answer the question about the "free recoil".its a technique used by some benchrest shooters.it means that the rifle sits in the front rest and the rear bag and the only part of the shooter touching the rifle is the trigger finger.there is no pressure put on the rifle.this works fine with a 22 ppc or a 222 but i wouldn't try it with something your trying to build.i don't like seeing photos of people getting "scoped":D

Here's some of those extraction photos. I've been reluctant to insert because some may feel offended due the "gore," but I depend on moose year around. There's no stores here, no road, only air. I have to get moose.

The first is a 63+" being pulled by gas winch to where we can operate; the second is underway, but a good look at ranges--and the horrible carry to the canoe (2' water, grass, and muck). The next the rack is being loaded into the boat; next look at his second longest tine and straight out from there into that olive-colored willow is where I shot from--later measured 407 yards. My longest shot. The last photo was last years 65" and we couldn't get all the meat packs in the picture. I got real lucky with that one--after a full day of hauling I was running out of steam (the last moose alone)--and along comes four NPS LE's. I caught them as they were turning to go up my river. We then did in 20 minutes what would have taken me another two hours. And they helped all the way up river, offloading, transporting to my deck where you see it all now. How thankful was I?

I'm making up an aluminum lifting device for this year; these moose are getting heavier...

Attachments

• 6PULLI~1.jpg
    6PULLI~1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 93UNDE~1.jpg
    93UNDE~1.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 41
  • 95INJU~1.jpg
    95INJU~1.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 43-9-10-7 b.jpg
    43-9-10-7 b.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 56
  • 2010 & #10d.jpg
    2010 & #10d.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Did someone say something about gore? :D Where's the gore? Them're clean pictures!

I was hunting in central AZ with a cow tag. Probably the best part of my game is tracking. I seem to do well at tracking elk critters, and after hunting hard all week we finally spotted a couple elk. I started following them but they wouldn't stop. I couldn't get within sight of them after initially jumping them so I broke off the trail and topped off over the hill and peeked over the other side and there was a bull down there standing broadside. I put him in the crosshairs and scanned the area looking for cows. They weren't around and it was getting late so I headed back to the family on the road with the Jeep. It took me 1:15 to walk back in a straight line on top of the plateau at a brisk pace. I was at least 5 miles from where I started out, but all caught up in the hunt I didn't realize how far I actually was. That would've been murder if I'd have shot a 600lb cow out there almost dark...:cool::D

There certainly ARE some advantages to living in AK. I know that's just meat hunting for a local like yourself but those bulls make a guy like me drool.

Are those the Sisk Moose? Those look like awfully big racks for that species. I was given to understand that for them anything over 50" was considered to be large.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.