Dilemma

PEEWEE69

Ok this not really a long range gun but here's the problem I have a rem 700 ADL 222 REM that I shot my first deer with and my oldest son shot his first deer with also I don't know exactly how old the gun is because my grandfather bought the gun for my uncles when they were kids at firestone lol nothing has ever been done to the rifle the rifle is a tack driver but the stock is getting old past refinishing and the scope is getting cloudy do I 1 put new stock and glass 2 new stock glass and rebarrel in same cal or 3 same as 2 but different cal also kinda don't want to even mess with it cuz it holds sentimental value and it shoots

I would just put new glass on it and enjoy it. Once you strip it down who knows what you will get ("tack driver"). Never mind the story your son will have when he hands it down to his son or daughter.

By the time you buy a stock, new barrel and have the barrel installed you will have the same money in buying a new rifle. You can pick up a fairly good shooting package rifle set up for $500. You will have $250 in a stock and $300 in a new barrel plus labor. The old stock you have may have some nicks, dings and scratches that is what I call used and not a closet queen. Last year I picked up a Vangaurd 7RM new in box for $300. It had been in the store for over a year and said make an offer. 30 min later it was in the truck. I sold it for $450 half an hour later. What I am saying is, if you look around a little you can pick up a good deal for less that what you will have in messing up a family hand me down.

I would rebuild it with your oldest sons help and then go on using it . It will maintain the family link and insure it will not be forgotten in the back of the closet. I know the I would want my legacy to be the everyday hunter and not a safe queen.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts