dilemma: Need Info Prior to Decision

As far as I know there's but three kinds of moose--alces--indigenous to North America: andersoni, better known as Canadian moose, Shiras moose of the western states, and alces gigas, the Alaska-Yukon moose, the largest cervid in the world, (my "handle" on this site). These are also the only moose recognized by Boone & Crockett and probably Roland Ward's too (the European moose is Elch). Very few taxonomists cling to the older taxonomy which included the eastern moose as americana. I just googled sisk moose and without going to the specific site there appears to be a reference to moose on Sisk Mountain in Maine, among others. Maine moose are Canadian moose.

If you were to purchase or rent "Monster Moose" (a video which used to be available--and may well still be--from Cabela's you would hear and see Virgil Umpenour, who is a commercial fisherman and master guide, exclaiming the merits of the Koyukuk River moose--as being the largest of the largest. I live on the upper Koyukuk above the Arctic Circle and while not sure Virgil is correct, but I'd hate to think there's any larger. Some people refer to our moose as Clydesdale's with antlers and a temper. I waited two years for the National Game Management Institute's text that's considered the"biblical authority" concerning moose globally. It is edited by Valerius Geist, formerly of the (then) Soviet Union, but emigrated to North America. The institute has similar publications on elk, Sitka, blacktail and mule deer, and whitetail deer; superb reading a fantastic collection of articles by experts. Most of my info originated there.

Like this website, a collection of riflemen and women who probably--certainly collectively--are the authority on long range hunting and shooting by dint of their enthusiastic immersion into the science.

As far as I know there's but three kinds of moose--alces--indigenous to North America: andersoni, better known as Canadian moose, Shiras moose of the western states, and alces gigas, the Alaska-Yukon moose, the largest cervid in the world, (my "handle" on this site). These are also the only moose recognized by Boone & Crockett and probably Roland Ward's too (the European moose is Elch). Very few taxonomists cling to the older taxonomy which included the eastern moose as americana. I just googled sisk moose and without going to the specific site there appears to be a reference to moose on Sisk Mountain in Maine, among others. Maine moose are Canadian moose.

If you were to purchase or rent "Monster Moose" (a video which used to be available--and may well still be--from Cabela's you would hear and see Virgil Umpenour, who is a commercial fisherman and master guide, exclaiming the merits of the Koyukuk River moose--as being the largest of the largest. I live on the upper Koyukuk above the Arctic Circle and while not sure Virgil is correct, but I'd hate to think there's any larger. Some people refer to our moose as Clydesdale's with antlers and a temper. I waited two years for the National Game Management Institute's text that's considered the"biblical authority" concerning moose globally. It is edited by Valerius Geist, formerly of the (then) Soviet Union, but emigrated to North America. The institute has similar publications on elk, Sitka, blacktail and mule deer, and whitetail deer; superb reading a fantastic collection of articles by experts. Most of my info originated there.

Like this website, a collection of riflemen and women who probably--certainly collectively--are the authority on long range hunting and shooting by dint of their enthusiastic immersion into the science.
Like a lot of other things we run into discussing local critters I suspect I'm a victim of local lore on the "Sisk Moose" being a different sub species. Considering the source I suspect it was just a nick name for the local herd of Yukon Moose in his area.

Thanks for the quick lesson.

Those certainly do look more like Clydesdales than any game animal I've come into contact with.

My wife and I could eat well for a year off of just one of them I suspect.

Try two very full years having five meals of moose every week; that's what my wife and I consume. Yes, we have to be inventive. However, I share, with those unable to hunt for whatever reason (s). We may have another hunter in the village now--that will make three of us. One's a guide statewide so he brings home the best of everything for whomever (and his wife), the new guy will share as I do. So usually I need to get a moose every year. Sometimes I run into caribou on my trap line; what pleasure to take them in winter; to handle the little things (after moose everything's small), and what good eating they are. Those too are shared. Here's a photo of more than 800# of edible meat looks like before processing. And a shot of treasure on the 'line.

Attachments

• 91A200~1.jpg
    91A200~1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 61
  • caribou d.jpg
    caribou d.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 53
i have to take my hat off to you.for someone to be able to survive in those conditions like you do is unreal for me.i guess its hard to fathom because i'm only a 28 year old virginia boy who has a walmart to go to to get my meat if i have a cruddy hunting season.i complain about a little snow but this takes the cake.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts