Cartridge Decisions! O My!!

Lahunter76

is there a reloading guide that has the 300 Norma reloading info! I have the Nosler Guide 8, and it does not.

ALSO!! Other then case design/shoulder is there really any benefit of a 300 Norma vs say a 30-378 Weatherby.

I currently have my Mark V in a 300 Weatherby but really for some reason I want a 300 Norma or a 30-378, I don't know why for a long time I have wanted a 30-378 but really like the Norma also! This is a hunting rig primarily but will also use it for some local comps and most that's read my previous post would know but my plan is:

Leopold VX5HD 3-15x56
McMillan Adj Game Warden Stock
26-27" #5 contour Hart tube 1:9 twist
Will shoot 200-230 Berger hybrids and looking at the 200ish+ Hammer Hunters also.

Hart uses a Vias Radial Break but not 100% sure if I want a Radial so I am open for non radial break suggestions.

If you are going to do a Norma punch it out to the improved version. The advantage over the 378 in no belt(who cares), seating bullets at mag length, barrel life, etc.
Radial brakes are great off a bench but prone can give you a face full of dirt.

76, presently brass availability should be a consideration. 30/378 $2.40 each available in Norma brass, 300 Norma $1.75 each if you can find it. Agree the 300 Norma barrel will probably last longer. Good luck

The 300 Roy is what I would consider the top end of productive over-bore for 30 Cal. If I were contemplating a bigger case I would run the 338-378Wby or even better the 338 RUM. The Norma case will not keep pace with the 300WBY. Having owned and or loaded for all of the here mentioned, you honestly can't go wrong with any of them, they are al very impressive. The .338-378 is by far the most impressive and in my experience much easier to load for and shoot well than the 30-378WBY. I think with good wind dope and the 300 grain Berger you can shoot yourself in the back of the head! (That's all the way around the world for those of you in Rio Linda).

I am a fan of the fast....er.....est 30s!! But I did look at the 338-378! I am a fan of the Weatherby company and like supporting them. The shorter OAL is a big draw with me also that the Norma offers. Other then the cost of brass, that seemed like the only real benefit the Norma offered.

I have a 300nm imp by Ryan Pierce, also have a standard 300nm. Go improved! Believe I picked up 5-6 grain capacity which now has it neutral with the 300rum, but you can actually use all the capacity while loading from a mag or bdl bottom metal. Use a powder that gives high fill % like 8133, Retumbo, N570. I can push 215 Berger 3250+ and 230 3100 accuracy nodes are. 40-75fps slow of those numbers. My rifle with optics is 10#, Ryan's 5 port brake calms it way down, could shoot it all day!

I am shooting the .300 Norma, .300 PRC and the .30-378 WBY and have shot the .300 RUM and nearly every other .30 caliber cartridge available as well as some wildcats.

For regular hunting and some target shooting, the .300 Norma and the .300 PRC are exceptional. I have a specialty ELR rifle built for loooong range targets using the .30-378 WBY.:eek:;)

Currently I'm shooting the Berger .300 Norma Mag (215, 230) ammunition to get the Lapua brass it's loaded with since Lapua is refusing to sell the brass only to the U.S. shooters.:mad: But as soon as ADG/Atlas or Peterson start making the Norma Mag, I'll switch to them.

You can go improved if that trips your trigger but I'm testing the standard only right now until I get more brass to work with.

upload_2019-7-28_12-11-32.png

is there a reloading guide that has the 300 Norma reloading info! I have the Nosler Guide 8, and it does not.

ALSO!! Other then case design/shoulder is there really any benefit of a 300 Norma vs say a 30-378 Weatherby.

I currently have my Mark V in a 300 Weatherby but really for some reason I want a 300 Norma or a 30-378, I don't know why for a long time I have wanted a 30-378 but really like the Norma also! This is a hunting rig primarily but will also use it for some local comps and most that's read my previous post would know but my plan is:

Leopold VX5HD 3-15x56
McMillan Adj Game Warden Stock
26-27" #5 contour Hart tube 1:9 twist
Will shoot 200-230 Berger hybrids and looking at the 200ish+ Hammer Hunters also.

Hart uses a Vias Radial Break but not 100% sure if I want a Radial so I am open for non radial break suggestions.
There is absolutely zero benefit to the Weatherby shoulder design. It was a great marketing ploy back in 1945, to lock you into having to buy the specific high-dollar Weatherby ammo and brass because they were the only ones who made it, but it's been proven to be no better than a standard shoulder design.

@sable tireur peterson made 300 & 338 nm brass, I had 100pieces. However their web dimension was 3 thou smaller than norma/lapua/Bertram. I signed up for peterson test ammo group of the 300nm ammo they're producing and the new brass is properly sized. However they aren't selling new brass, just loaded ammo. Hopefully ADG comes to the rescue, some wsm brass would be nice too!

Just looked in my Lyman 50th and the 308 Norma Mag is not in there either.
I bought the Norma manual specifically to get current .308 Norma Mag data. It was interesting revisiting my old friend. Makes me think more about wanting to build another one. Goes looking for brass availability.......

@sable tireur peterson made 300 & 338 nm brass, I had 100pieces. However their web dimension was 3 thou smaller than norma/lapua/Bertram. I signed up for peterson test ammo group of the 300nm ammo they're producing and the new brass is properly sized. However they aren't selling new brass, just loaded ammo. Hopefully ADG comes to the rescue, some wsm brass would be nice too!

I am and have been fully aware of all the coming and going of most of the brass in this country. It's a necessity and part of my job but thank you for the reminder of those events.;)