Now What? Big game hunting is over and only one football game left

I don't know how to send a pm, I'm new to this(or any forum for that matter) and not sure what the protocol is.
You need to check with CHRIS or another administrator you've been here long enough and have enough posts . I can't PM you either.

Today I had my artificial ankle replaced- had it done 2/3/22 but it was giving me tremendous pain on steep hills (New Zealand hunt was quite painful) so I had it redone precisely because this is the perfect time of year to be laid up. Need to keep my foot above my heart for a week and no weight bearing at all for next three. Since I can't shoot, a perfect time for getting my cataract surgeries, since I will have impaired vision for 3 weeks. Three weeks sitting by the pool. I wasn't happy to leave CO, but I am looking forward to painless hiking and seeing 20/20 without contacts.
Prayers sent

So for me , the next 4 weekends are Pheasant and Chucker shooting. Get the reloading bench all clean and ready. Take inventory of all components. Put the new Kenton Turret on the 4.5X to 14X Leupold VX3 that is now sitting on the 300 Weatherby Mag, and make a load for the 190 Grn Nosler AB bullets . Mid-March , back at the range !! I had to move two scopes, the Leupold 1.5X to 5 X on my short 30-06 and the 3x to 15 X on my 270 Win. Ultra Light . Needed to bring the scopes closer to my eye due to thick heavy Hunting coat. I had the stock cut on the Weatherby Ultralight !! Zero is lost, of course, so must re assemble the rifle and sight in both rifles all over again. Looking forward to that!!!!!

I usually try to finish my hunting year off with a hunt down in Arizona, that didn't happen this year. I usually transition into ice fishing after that. Then spring bear and turkey. Then shooting and some fishing over the summer. Then getting ready for and then archery in September. Then rifle hunting. Then waterfowl. And then I usually try to finish my hunting year off with a hunt down in Arizona…where's the lull?

Last edited:
Well....maybe my strategy wasn't stated but hearing what others are doing plants seeds for me on what I could be doing. My list so far:

* Coyote hunting (338 Dude)
* Investigate Hunting Arizona late season next year.
* Try a little harder to find a place that truly wants and welcomes good Marksman to kill off hogs. I've heard all about it, but even living 5 years in Texas only produced opportunities with significant price tags.

Depending on where one lives, there are still small game, hog and varmint seasons (crow, coyote, black birds, etc) open, spring fishing is beginning, and turkey season is around the corner. Often in years past, we used this time of year to cast up large amounts of lead bullets and reloading for the coming spring/summer/fall pistol comps and practice sessions. That was on cold and/or raining days between the warmer days and early crappie and white/black bass fishing. Also, I spent a decent amount of time on my home range practicing for the upcoming spring/summer rifle matches in high power and small bore - weather permitting.

Now and in this state, I spend much of the remaining winter in the shop reloading, swaging, casting, minor gunsmithing and maybe a couple of barrel changes as needed. And of course, some time on various shooting and hunting forums. I never really caught the ice fishing bug, but several of my friends take that route.

Investigate Hunting Arizona late season next year.
I usually try to go down to archery hunt deer and javelina. Deer tags are limited but they're first come first served. You could also go javelina hunting but it's hardly worth buying the AZ hunting license and javelina tag for just javelina. I apply for other tags there, and i grew up there, all of my family is still there. If you're wanting to actually kill a deer, it might be pretty tough just knowing where to go.