Long range all around western rifle

CARTRIDGE: 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC (flat shooting and fights the wind well)

RIFLE: Browning X-Bolt Pro or Pro Long Range (IMHO the best "bang" for the buck in a semi-custom rifle)

BuDGET RIFLE: Ruger American Predator W/ a Timmy trigger (as accurate as the big buck rifles like the Browning X-Bolt Pro, Weatherby, SAKO, etc.)

Eric B.

The 1000 yards complicates things. Id say the 300 rum is the best cartridge for the task. It's been mentioned in the previous posts. You can download it to shoot like a laser (130 ttsx) or shoot it heavy with 215+gr bullets. Factory rounds and guns readily available.
Add a brake to it and it'll be enjoyable to shoot.

Since there are differences between loading manuals from year to year what's wrong with sticking to the older manuals? Say an older manual is max at this grain of charge and a newer manual is a couple grains lower on the max what's wrong with still using the older manual.

With what you are saying, nothing is wrong. If you use the same brass, primer, rifle, twist, barrel length, same old bullet, and same old powder listed for that load. Change one of those and that 25 year old load still needs worked up too. There are so many reasons to pick up a new loading manual. Check the publishing dates and calibers covered. Cost my checkbook a couple of years ago when I didn't check the dates. Newest version of brand X manual and didn't even have the 204 Ruger in it. I've got manuals that the heaviest 30 cal bullet in it is the 200 gr. round nose. With all the new powders and semi-wildcat chambering I don't know how they keep up.

A 7mm Rem Mag is a great long range choice, mild recoil (even without a brake) and a good selection of high BC bullets. But, there's always a but, if you look at it's energy values and are honest with yourself your gonna run out of Elk energy around 700 yards +/- depending on your altitude.

To give yourself some margin a 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler or other 30 Cal mag (all using heavy for Cal bullets) would be a better starting point. For example my 7 LRM running a 195 Berger can reach Elk energy at 1000 and the right altitude. I wouldn't suggest an LRM for your choice since it's a wildcat and not available in factory rifles, but the 28 Nosler is an available great choice.

The X-Bolt Max Long Range is right in your price range and has potential to provide the accuracy needed to honestly pull the trigger on muscle and bone at 1000 yards.

The rifle is just a start to building a long range system. You need a scope that will reliably dial, you need a way to compute your correction (ie. Range finder/ballistics computer), you need lots of trigger time on paper and steel in field shooting positions learning your rifle and learning how to run your system in wind making wind calls. I would be curious what kind of long range constent accuracy someone is getting out of the Max Long Range.

I don't think 7mmRM has enough umph left at 1000 yards for me to be comfortable taking something as large as elk. This sounds like a good excuse, to me, to buy a 338 Lapua. That cartridge will get the job done.

.338 LAPUA?
$2.07+ per round
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/338-lapua-magnum

.338 RUM?
$2.13+ per round
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/338rum

BUT NOW, THERE ARE MORE RIFLES IN .338 LAPUA THAN RUM.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cat...60.444877&pp=30&sortby=priceAscend&sortType=1

.338 RUM
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cat...iber=338+RUM&pp=30&sortby=ourPicksAscend&cx=0

I always want big caliber for elk esp at long range but for an all around western rifle a custom in 300RUM or 28 Nosler(using 195 Berger)! If throated for long heavy bullits they have proven to do well out to 1000y.
A good custom with top end glass is not cheep but "pay once cry once"
And never look back!

Hey everybody. So I'm looking to buy a rifle that is a good all around long range hunting rifle. Something that can reach out 1000 yards and kill am elk with confidence. But also a gun I would mind taking a pronghorn with. I'm looking to buy one stock, not build. Right now I'm looking at the browning x bolt max long range in 7mm mag. I'm looking to spend around 1100 on rifle, not including scope. I'm just looking for input on what you guys think about the browning and caliber I'm looking at, or what gun and caliber choice youd search. Also I'm thinking about a savage 110 high country in 280 Ackley. Thanks guys
I have a 7mm rem mag and have taken both elk and moose with it and I also have a 7mmSTW which I think is a better cartridge ! Its a 8mm necked down to 284 and shoots a 175 grain bullet really well ! Its also shoots a 140 & 150 at over 3000 fps ! Those would be my two choices and I would look into the Tikka t3 liteweight as its a tack driver out of the box !

Brownings are hard to beat for the money. If your going out to a 1000 spend a lot on optics. cant see it you cant shoot it

I shoot a custom 7 mag. Killed several elk out to 600 yds. Browning is a good choice. If you also want something for pronghorn, 7 mag is a great choice. Fast, flat with good BC. I shoot Berger 168 Hunting VLD. Everyone likes different rounds and what you choose will depend on what your gun likes to eat.

The only problem I see is that if you're serious about 1000 yards for elk, the remaining energy starts to be questionable/reliable to kill a 500-750lb animal unless you're one heck of a shot.

I agree with Elkeater. 0.4MOA with a .30WM @ 800 yards is a good limit. If you want to go 1000 yards, 0.25MOA is close to what you need with a smaller bullet.

IMHO

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.