X Bolt Max Long Range Hunter

I called browning personally and they said the 9.5 for the 7mm RM was a typo and should be a 8 twist. That was ahile ago though I would hope they'd fix that

Much better twist for the 7mm Rem Mag. Yes, one would think that Browning would get that corrected ASAP! A lot of guys might buy one if they knew it has a 1 in 8" twist rate.

If 1.5 MOA meets their standards for a long range hunting rifle, I'm not holding my breath on them correcting their misprint any time soon. On a $500 rifle, 1.5 MOA might be more understandable. On a $1200 gun that's branded as a long range hunter, it's a joke.

Pity. That rifle seemed like a winner on paper. Even if you got a lemon, I don't want to monkey with such low performance expectations from the factory.

Kinda suprises me. I've had good luck with browning being good shooters

That's the true disappointment. Most Browning rifles that I've shot, and there have been several dozen over the years, have shot very well. Most have been sub-MOA with a few shooting 1/2MOA or better. I still have two of these. Unfortunately, there have been close to a dozen that only shot 2 or 3 MOA at best. Most were sent back to Browning but, only a couple came back with any significant improvement. Unless I've seen the rifle shoot well, I no longer buy Browning rifles! That's ashame...

That's the true disappointment. Most Browning rifles that I've shot, and there have been several dozen over the years, have shot very well. Most have been sub-MOA with a few shooting 1/2MOA or better. I still have two of these. Unfortunately, there have been close to a dozen that only shot 2 or 3 MOA at best. Most were sent back to Browning but, only a couple came back with any significant improvement. Unless I've seen the rifle shoot well, I no longer buy Browning rifles! That's ashame...
After my last fiasco with my Remington I'm going to be a build only guy. Take the weak link right out of the equation!

Exactly my thoughts. I thought this was going to be the ticket, everything looked good and had the features I wanted. But as you said 1.5 moa is unacceptable so I took the hit and I'm having it taken care of by someone who actually understands what is needed for a long range rifle.

If 1.5 MOA meets their standards for a long range hunting rifle, I'm not holding my breath on them correcting their misprint any time soon. On a $500 rifle, 1.5 MOA might be more understandable. On a $1200 gun that's branded as a long range hunter, it's a joke.

Pity. That rifle seemed like a winner on paper. Even if you got a lemon, I don't want to monkey with such low performance expectations from the factory.

After my last fiasco with my Remington I'm going to be a build only guy. Take the weak link right out of the equation!

Also ashame...

I have a lot af Remington rifles; 700s, Sportsman 78s, 788s, and a couple of 600s. Almost all were bought over 20 years ago and now wear new custom barrels, triggers and some, new stocks. I have most of my collection well tuned. Back in the day my minimum acceptable accuracy was 1.25 MOA. Any rifle not meeting that requirement got rebarrel and worked on until it did, or got gone! Today, if I can't get 0.75 MOA or better, same thing...

The nice thing about the 700s is how easily you can change components and get them to shoot well, with very few exceptions. Not so much with Browning rifles. Most shoot very well but, if they don't, they can be a pain and very expensive to get them to shoot well. Don't expect much help from Browning's customer service... A very iffy 1.5 MOA guarantee is highly disappointing, particularly on a $1,000.00 plus rifle!

Last edited:
They probably were too busy pushing other crap to remember the old workhorse that has killed millions of animals on all continents.

The 7mmRM isn't "new and sexy" enough for them to push hard and market hard for. :rolleyes:

Or it's a typo and you're too excited to get on the podium grandstanding about the good olds to remember we already addressed this:rolleyes:

not sure browning actually has any accuracy guarantee-- but they supposedly did a "factory" barrel vs "custom" barrel accuracy test using an x-bolt LR stalker and they claim that their average accuracy with the factory barreled rifle was .8 MOA

when I shot them an e-mail before I bought my LR stalker, they told me their x-bolt rifles shoot 1 moa or better, but did not sight any guarantee--glad my 7rm lr stalker shoots incredibly well for me, guess I got a 1/4-1/2 moa keeper for 5 bills

Last edited:
not sure browning actually has any accuracy guarantee-- but they supposedly did a "factory" barrel vs "custom" barrel accuracy using an x-bolt LR stalker and they claim that their average accuracy with the factory barreled rifle was .8 MOA

when I shot them an e-mail before I bought my LR stalker, they told me their x-bolt rifles shoot 1 moa or better, but did not site any guarantee--glad my 7rm lr stalker shoots incredibly well for me, guess I got a 1/4-1/2 moa keeper for 5 bills

Like I said; most shoot very well. I'd just hate to be the guy with a $1,000 plus, 1.5 MOA long range rifle! :eek:

Last edited:
I have the Browning Max Long Range in a 28N. I finally got my scope on it last weekend Leupold VX6-HD 4-24x52. This wagering it sighted in at 100.the 3 shots to the right was the barrel heating up. I will be taking it out tomorrow zeroing it at 200 yds.

Attachments

• C672D056-2546-41C8-A496-7568DE3AAFAF.jpeg
    C672D056-2546-41C8-A496-7568DE3AAFAF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 202
  • E946ADD4-9D1C-4D70-AEF8-7E986021B021.jpeg
    E946ADD4-9D1C-4D70-AEF8-7E986021B021.jpeg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 177
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.