X Bolt Max Long Range Hunter

Update to this thread. I bought one of these rifles in .300 WM. I'll give MY OPINION, and what I have found with this particular rifle.

It sucks.

Starting at the muzzle working back, it has a removable brake and came with a thread protector. I never fired it without a brake, so I can't say how much the factory brake cut back on recoil. But, I did change the brake to 2 others in my quest to get it to shoot, one was a cheap Brake/comp from an AR the other was a JP "tank" recoil eliminator. Both of mine cut the recoil considerably more. Also the factory brake is terrible for shooting prone, especially if you're in a sandy/dusty environment.
The barrel: The barrel is 26" fluted grey matte stainless. Can't say much about it other than I'm ALREADY replacing it with a Bartlein. I don't own a bore scope so I can't give much detail on it.
The stock: the stock Has some very nice features, adjustable LOP and comb, I Added the "medium" spaced and the rifle fit me well. The stock is also "flimsyer" than I'd like to see on a "long range rifle" but it will probably work fine. As it sits the barrel is free floating in the stock but I can see where it could easily make contact if you heavily load a bipod or if perhaps shooting at high angle or goofy positions. I might try to address this in the near future.

Trigger: sucks. Forget about trying to shoot with any accuracy with this thing. This trigger is the heaviest trigger I've ever felt on a factory bolt gun. It has near Zero creep or overtravel. But stupid heavy. I did NOT put a gauge on it. I put a mcarbo spring in it which helped tremendously. BUT this will be getting a Timney sooner than later.

Action/receiver: pretty smooth. You can unload the rifle without needing to put rifle on fire, typical x bolt system.

Performance: EXTREMELY POOR! I fired a total of 354 rounds through this rifle. I did manage to get some decent (3/4") groups at 100 and 175 yards. But any load that would give me decent results close would absolutely fall apart at distance. Most of my longer shots were at 475 however I did take it to 600 a couple times. The best I could come up with at 475 was right around 2moa. These are 3 shot groups. I tried 212ELD-X and 215 hybrids, I tried about 8-9 powders as well.

I bought this rifle specifically for elk hunting this fall and in the future. So with such terrible results I contacted browning to see what could be done, and what their "acceptable" accuracy was. 1.5 MOA is acceptable for browning!! So they offered to send me a shipping label to return the rifle for inspection, but they said it would be a minimum of 8 weeks once they get it and could be significantly longer depending on the issue!! Figuring 1 week travel each way that puts the rifle getting back to me beginning of sept! Unacceptable, especially considering 1.5 moa being "OK" by them. All that said, I'm sending the rifle off to a smith who claims to be able to spin up a Bartlein to the same contour, chamber/thread/install and have it done in 3 weeks.

So if I could do it again, I would have saved the $600 worth of components, $1200 for the rifle and shipping, and the charge for the custom barrel and just bought a custom rifle. This will be my last NEW browning, or factory rifle I buy.!!

If anyone has any Q's about it please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.
Hey I bought same rifle in 6.5 PRC and it also sucks,but I think mine shoots worse than yours. I've only shot at a 100 yards ,and loaded book accuracy (Sierra manual) loads and I was getting 2-4MOA. I've been handloading for 40 years,other rifles I get under 1/2 MOA with Bartlein bbls I might add . So did you add a Bartlein bbl ? Any updates cause mine is at my gunsmiths being evaluated . I was starting to wonder if its my fault ,because other X bolt owners raved about how well they shot. But upon reading your post tells me its the rifle not me.

Dang it Iron Worker, your last two rifles have given you fits! And they both are desirables to me.
1st one being the Weatherby in 338-378 ? I had that re-barreled to 257 WBY Mag with a Bartlein Rem Varmint contour bbls . That solved all my problems,its really sweet now. But this Max long range is insane )-:

I have the Browning Max Long Range in a 28N. I finally got my scope on it last weekend Leupold VX6-HD 4-24x52. This wagering it sighted in at 100.the 3 shots to the right was the barrel heating up. I will be taking it out tomorrow zeroing it at 200 yds.
So any updates on your Max Long range ? How fast did you fire those shots ? Mine in 6.5 PRC is a very poor shooter.

you think it is something with the new stock design? all the other x-bolts Ive ever seen have been good shooters
I'm wondering if it's the Medium weight fluted bbl ? But there is a post on youtube of a guy that doesn't look like he's connected to Browning or Advertisers he getting 3/4 MOA groups with his ? Doesn't seem like a simple solution ?

you think it is something with the new stock design? all the other x-bolts Ive ever seen have been good shooters

The stock sucks. After a couple hundred more rounds downrange, I can tell u it's as bad or worse than a factory savage/rem Tupperware stock. You can literally see your crosshairs slowly creep downward, while you gradually apply more pressure to the trigger. (Trigger is stupid heavy).

Iron worker, I replied to your PM and answered your Q's

You guys are changing my mind one buying one of these. We thought the stocks would be nice?

They look nice. They Have cool features, but, not stiff and if you have to re barrel your rifle like I did, you're just plain stuck with the factory contour. There is not enough "meat" on the stock to open up the barrel channel. Probably why they are so flimsy

I'm wondering if it's the Medium weight fluted bbl ? But there is a post on youtube of a guy that doesn't look like he's connected to Browning or Advertisers he getting 3/4 MOA groups with his ? Doesn't seem like a simple solution ?
Probably not the barrel. Same barrel on other LR Xbolts that people say shoot fine. Mine are all sporters and are .5MOA capable, even my BAR.

Probably not the barrel. Same barrel on other LR Xbolts that people say shoot fine. Mine are all sporters and are .5MOA capable, even my BAR.

A barrel swap on mine made all the difference. That's the only thing that's different. With the exception of new bedding. I refuse to believe a bedding job can make a 3-4 moa rifle go down to less than 1 moa.

When I call Browning up this morning,it will be the 2nd call I made. First time they said they shoot them at 50yds and if a quarter covers a 3 shot group they call it good. They al;so said the typical problem is Bedding ,barrel crown and a good bore scrubbing . But still 1 1/2 group isn't EVEN good enough .

Thanks WildRose for the information. I talked to a Browning tech today. I wanted to know, on the X-bolt Max long range hunter, if they increased the bullet length capacity on the .300 Win.Mag magazine to accept longer handloads especially with the 1:8 twist barrel. He could only say it was built to SAAMI specs so, no, the basic .300 magazine. I was able to swap out on my .300 A-bolt to a .375H&H magazine and load my longer handloads. My 175gr. Berger bullets have an OAL of 3.875 and a .300 magazine is only 3.496. Does anyone know if X-bolt magazines are interchangeable or not. Browning couldn't answer that one.
I checked the HCLR in 6.5 Creedmoor and in 6.5 PRC and the mags were interchangeable. I didn't compare any Long action mags...

This thread is really disappointing. Was considering the MAX LR in 28 Nosler, but now not too sure. Has anybody had good luck with this rifle?
Now I'm leaning towards the Bergara B-14 HMR.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.