anyone know about the browning a bolt 2 long range hunter?

schmidty85

Hey fellas I am new to this forum and am looking to get into some long range hunting and shooting was looking at some rifles would really like to save up for a Remington 700 sendero but the browning a bolt 2 lrh in .300 win mag kinda caught my eye. Also was looking at a rem 700 sps. Just looking for some advice I don't have a ton of cash to blow on this I do reload so that isn't to big of a deal just looking for some rifle advice.. thanks alot

There does not seem to be a lot of following for browning rifles. I however have loved every one I have ever owned. Can't tell you anything about the long range but I can tell you I have a m-1000 eclipse in 270wsm that us the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I have loads with 130 gr tsx, 140gr SST, 130gr Nosler BT, and 140 hornady btsp, that all shoot less than 1/2 moa out to 500 on a calm day.

I have had 2 Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker 7Mags w/ BOSS systems.....First got stolen, replaced it with another one. They are excellent rifles. Never be scared to buy a Browning firearm. They are tack-drivers and the actions are smooth & strong.

I'm looking at another Eclipse M-1000, I read the trigger is adjustable. The 7swm I had was unbelievably accurate right out of the box and such high quality workmanship. I really like the 60* bolt throw. I wish all rifles were like that. They are keepers unless you gotta have a rem 700. The advantage of a rem 700 is the longer term convertibility with after market parts. Pretty remarkable what you can do with one. I don't think initial quality is even in the same ballpark. You'd have to go Sako to be close with what Browning gives you for a bit less, buy a Browning Eclipse or hunter Eclipse.

A good smith, that's worth his salt, can trick a Browning...Any smith can blueprint a 700, b/c they are so widely used and so commonly customized. I am a huge 700 fan, but I am also a Browning A-Bolt II and Weatherby Mark-V fan.

Tricked out, rebarreled, accurized, and blueprinted A-Bolt II's are nasty guns! Christensen Arms lets you choose between 700, A-Bolt II, and Mod 70 actions for their custom ordered guns. That should tell you something.

Just thought I would share what you might be able to look forward to.

270wsmtarget_001.jpg

This was shot from my m-1000 eclipse at 100yards with 130gr tsx. At 3500fps. With 75gr of magpro.

And it is absolutely devastating on deer.

Awesome shooting. My M-1000 7wsm was so accurate and stable to shoot, I was shocked. I hadn't even turned on the BOSS yet. Glad to see some people respect the M-1000 line. I really think they have that gun down. Good smithing.

I would not by a Sendero if I were you......At least not a new one! As everyone knows the older Remington's quality was amazing, especially that of the Sendero. But listen to this:

Two of my closest friends and I decided to get into long range shooting about a year ago. We have always hunted and practiced at long range however, we wanted to step it up a bit. Although, I had heard a few folks say Remington's quality had dramatically decreased, I believed the Sendero would still be a great rifle as it is one of their "long range rifles." We'll I was wrong! Out of the three only one was free of major defects. The first rifle my friend Curt purchased. Curt is an experienced reloader as am I. After having issues getting the gun to group he had it bedded and purchased a new trigger. The rifle continued shooting terrible. He took it to a gun smith who found a major defect in the barrel. I had a similar issue with mine. I couldn't get it to group at all. I mean it was all over the place no matter what I loaded. I also had mine bedded. I ended up taking it to Cabelas to have their gun smith look at it. The smith took one look down the barrel and said, "what the hell happened." He grabbed a rifle off the shelf and had me look Down the barrel. Then he had me look down my Sendero barrel. Well, it looked like someone took a hand chisel to the inside of my barrel. It was an obvious defect from the factory. This was similar to my friend Curts barrel besides he actually had a small are in the middle of his barrel that was missing riflings. We both contacted Remington and they said because we had the rifles bedded "modified" the warranty was most likely voided. What? That has nothing to do with the barrel. I'm currently trying to work with Remington, but I'm telling you it has not been a good experience. I learned a valuable lesson. We should have really checked those rifles out closely before we even shot them. I just thought a 1300 dollar rifle would be good to go. I cannot believe these rifles made it through quality control.

If I were you I would take a close look at the Browning Long Range if that's the price range you are looking at. I have a friend who bought one when they first came out and he loves it. Another buddy of mine purchased the Savage long range 111 and it shoots lights out. As for me I am having a custom rifle built right now and will never buy anything with the name Remington ever again.

I think one thing that typically sets Browning and Savage apart is they are good in the barrel making business. Out of the box, both are typicaaly good shooters, and the barrel is what seals the deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.