X-Bolt Long Range Max - .28N random fliers - Heat?

Factory loads falling apart at distance or tuned handloads?
We have some pretty good factory ammo available these days, but its been pretty rare for me to get some that has anconsistent enough velocity spread to be accurate at distance.

Trying to zero /get my buddy's gun ready...its doing same thing ..except his is throwing 3" fliers...
I started waiting 45 minutes between each shot, almost a 1 hole gun...if I shoot 3 in a reasonable amount of time...thing is all over the place

It's a 7wsm

Trying to zero /get my buddy's gun ready...its doing same thing ..except his is throwing 3" fliers...
I started waiting 45 minutes between each shot, almost a 1 hole gun...if I shoot 3 in a reasonable amount of time...thing is all over the place

It's a 7wsm
Sounds like to me it could be a stress relieve problem on the barrel.

Last edited:
My advice when I see/hear this problem:

1. Clean the bore, even if it's already clean.

2. Let the gun cool to room temperature between shots. Yes I know this can really extend a shooting session, but it's worth it.

3. Take the scope off and reinstall it.

4. Switch brands of ammunition.

5. Switch scopes.

While none of these will cure a defective rifle, it's been my experience that these simple steps will fix many a flyer problem.

Well it looks like it shots just fine when the barrel is cool with every shot. A barrel that isnt properly stress relieved will "walk" as it heats up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.