X-Bolt Long Range Max - .28N random fliers - Heat?

Sighting in here.
X-bolt long range max
Factory Hornady 162 gr precision hunter

Having random flier issues. Base is secure, Rings are torqued correctly, stock is free floated without anything contacting barrel. Rifle will punch holes in holes, but as soon as I make an adjustment, it'll go haywire. I'll make a simple 1 moa left adjustment, and then it'll end up a couple MOA high. I've never shot a magnum cartridge other than .300wm. Is this that temperamental when it comes to heat? Most I shot was a couple rounds at a time.

Stumped.

I have been down this road before just got a scope back from Leupold they have great service but they all have a bad one get out once in a while. What else explains you moving the scope 1 moa and getting something different than 1 moa. Don't fight it eliminate the scope and get back to us.
This is some sound advice.

I can do that. I just wasn't sure how much of a role heat plays with this cartridge. I'm used to my 6.5 where I can just sling them out there and it doesn't care. I'd shoot a couple, make an adjustment and it would be way out of wack. The ones I shot when letting the barrel go completely cool we're touching each other. I also wasn't sure if 162gr was the right bullet for a 1:11 rifle. I'll see about locating another scope and get back to you.

A 28 Nosler can heat up quick for sure but you said in your OP that you were letting it cool down. Also the only thing you changed was the scope. If you move a scope 1 moa it should move the POI 1moa. I have to ask why would you have a 28 Nosler in a 1/11 Twist. They need at least a 1/8 for the heavies that is where a 28N shines. Mine runs a 175 gr at 3212 fps.

Right, I meant 1:8. I had two rifles in front of me when I posted. I was thinking it might like the 175s better as well. Will switch scopes and see.

I have the Browning Max Long Range in 28N with leupold VX6-he 4-24x52. Shooting the same Hornady 162 elf-x. The heat does play a factor with this gun. I am getting good groups but that is with a cold barrel. Once it starts heating up it will send fliers. I would start with the scope as well just to be safe. In your post you said shoot a couple shots. What do you consider a couple before it sends fliers?
Below are some groups I shot in the pic you can see 3 shots spreading to the right, that was when my barrel started heating up.

Attachments

• 36BF0ACA-6140-4F66-A820-1811260A2474.jpeg
    36BF0ACA-6140-4F66-A820-1811260A2474.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 269
  • 09FF8B03-25B4-4506-973F-EF6199891F6F.jpeg
    09FF8B03-25B4-4506-973F-EF6199891F6F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 345
  • F2C0296B-3915-4E21-879D-C5E5244E3011.jpeg
    F2C0296B-3915-4E21-879D-C5E5244E3011.jpeg
    629.7 KB · Views: 281
Sighting in here.
X-bolt long range max
Factory Hornady 162 gr precision hunter

Having random flier issues. Base is secure, Rings are torqued correctly, stock is free floated without anything contacting barrel. Rifle will punch holes in holes, but as soon as I make an adjustment, it'll go haywire. I'll make a simple 1 moa left adjustment, and then it'll end up a couple MOA high. I've never shot a magnum cartridge other than .300wm. Is this that temperamental when it comes to heat? Most I shot was a couple rounds at a time.

Stumped.
Could be an ELD-X problem?

Update. Took the rifle completely apart, checked everything, re-leveled and properly torqued everything. Took it back it. It put holes in holes at 100. Literally one big hole. This was with letting it get completely cool between shots, off bags, etc to eliminate as many outside factors as possible. At 200 it opened up to about 2 inches, 300 worse, and 400 was just awful. Could be the 162s?

I went to a Scheels store last weekend, and they had 2 xbolt long range max's in their used section. I thought what the heck! So I asked the manager of the firearms department. He said they have had almost every single one they have sold come back with the same issues I'm having. They just won't shoot well. A couple they sent back to Browning. One came back and shot well, the other didn't. They sent that one back 2 more times and now it shoots... Browning wouldn't tell them what they were doing with them. He pulled a new one off of the rack and showed me where there 1/2 moon shaped machining marks right in the throat of the bore. "I'm sure I'll get this one back too he said "

Not sure where to go with this thing. Seemed like too good to be true when it came out. Now I'm thinking maybe it is...

If its shooting at 100 it will shoot at 300 and 400 also, I've had same groups you've described at 100 fall apart at 500.
I would try different primers, adjust powder charge.3 grain, seating depth and neck tension. Just change one thing at a time and if it makes the group better try the next thing.

If it shoots bugholes at 100, then I'd say the rifle has potential. I'd look more into ammo, or maybe a loose but behind the trigger :D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts