Long range all around western rifle

Hey everybody. So I'm looking to buy a rifle that is a good all around long range hunting rifle. Something that can reach out 1000 yards and kill am elk with confidence. But also a gun I would mind taking a pronghorn with. I'm looking to buy one stock, not build. Right now I'm looking at the browning x bolt max long range in 7mm mag. I'm looking to spend around 1100 on rifle, not including scope. I'm just looking for input on what you guys think about the browning and caliber I'm looking at, or what gun and caliber choice youd search. Also I'm thinking about a savage 110 high country in 280 Ackley. Thanks guys
I'd recommend the 300 Winchester Magnum for that one all around long range hunting rifle with enough energy delivered at longer ranges to dispatch elk and smaller game. I shoot 190 Gr Berger Hunting VLD. Mine is a custom build on a Remington Model 700 action with a Lilja precision #7 taper barrel. Heavy enough to manage recoil. Just dumped a Browning A bolt because it kicked like a mule and splattered targets. Not a fan. A good friend just bought a Remington Sendero and is shooting sub-minute accuracy. Leave the 6.5's for deer and smaller game. Shot 7mm Rem mag for years, but moved to the 300 Win Mag and never looked back. Good luck with your purchase.

Nope - Nope - & Nope -
My .340Wby.Mag was a magnificent performer on 750 metre Antelope down @ the Crossroads (AB/Sask./MT.) 200 gr. BT @3300 1 shot - perfect placement had to Wait 20 minutes for correct shot with the 20-30 mph. Full Value Wind

No matter how good your Rifle - how much shooting have you done @ 1000 yds.???
Have you Hunted @ 2000-3000 metres elevation?? Hiked all day?? At that elevation & in inclement weather?? Or do you know where you'll Be Hunting - shooting from ridge to ridge ? Then your 1000 yd. shot becomes a much longer hike !! Are you DIY or drop off or Guide; how will you get it out??
Do you know How Big an Elk is ???

If all of this YES - you are ready !!???

You have yet to mention the WIND !!! Cross winds, varying winds as you go down range, gusts, drop offs & at longer distance MIRAGE !

Get the rifle & Cartridge you Are comfortable with and confident in—. ... shoot many, many rounds & if less than a CheyTac consider a closer distance Stalk In to a couple of hundred yards - use a good rest (unless your breathing is relaxed & you're good offhand) & place the bullet so it takes out both Lungs -

Then enjoy a couple of Elk Tenderloins !!!! From One of the most Regal of Critters..

If you are not truly good at Breathing when excited, slowing your heart rate, able to read the wind & compensate for Mirage, read your distance, dial in the scope, etc. so you get perfect bullet placement on what I Hope is a stationary Bull — with a bullet with sufficient energy when it arrives 1/3-1/2 second after firing —- 1000 yds. is too far and far too much can go Wrong !!! (I have shot literally boxes @ 830 yds, & hit the steel plate every time w/my 340 & put 5 in 3" @ 750 w/300WM 210 gr. Berger's — 800 yds./metres is my Maximum on Stationary Critters where I know the terrain & can Judge the WIND & if open areas the Mirage —-

Things to ponder - find what's comfortable for you then enjoy your Hunt!!! LRB

I'd advise against a 300 RUM. Way too much recoil and very short barrel life.

The US Military went with the new 300 PRC for their $5 M contract of new Barrett MRAD sniper rifles because it is made to load heavy 200+ grain bullets and easily stay within got SAAMI COAL without compressing the powder load and causing pressure spikes.

Eric B.

There are many good recommendations here. My opinion is that if you fully intend on possibly shooting upwards of 1,000 yards at an animal as large as an elk as well as hunt antelope, you may want to consider 2 different calibers. Something powerful enough to kill an elk at 1,000 yards would be too powerful for antelope. I, personally, would never consider a shot of that distance but I'm not a military sniper either.

I usually research everything in depth before I purchase any firearm. I've never been a browning bolt gun fan either. But, I was looking for a 7mag and the local store had a hells canyon long range x bolt in 7mag I liked everything about it besides the trigger, the light weigh, Cerakote finish, tasteful camo pattern etc and they made me a deal on it. I had a local Smith work the trigger over and screwed a Harvester suppressor on it and I am extremely impressed with it. Shoots every ammo I have tried sub moa and my handloads are sub half moa. Recoil with the can is non existent both my 11 and 13 yr olds shoot it very well and have killed whitetail past 400 yds with it. Excellent choice in factory rifles. I have a 300RUM if I ever intend to shoot elk over 500-600 yds.

Hey everybody. So I'm looking to buy a rifle that is a good all around long range hunting rifle. Something that can reach out 1000 yards and kill am elk with confidence. But also a gun I would mind taking a pronghorn with. I'm looking to buy one stock, not build. Right now I'm looking at the browning x bolt max long range in 7mm mag. I'm looking to spend around 1100 on rifle, not including scope. I'm just looking for input on what you guys think about the browning and caliber I'm looking at, or what gun and caliber choice youd search. Also I'm thinking about a savage 110 high country in 280 Ackley. Thanks guys

Why would anyone hunt an Elk at 1000yds ?

7mm mag is a poor for anything larger than prairie dog at 1000 yds. Does no have enough energy at that range. Get a 338 lapua practice and practice until you can hit a 6" steel every time at that distance then try to find an elk 600 yds or less ( usually not hard to do) and goo luck.

Man - you opened a can of worms. Lots of opinions, lots of opinions being thrown around like facts as well.

In my experience a 6.5 or .284 bullet is plenty for elk out to 1000 yards - you just have to shoot one with a high enough BC.

Don't listen to these guys who claim you have to have a 300 or 338 - they are just trying to compensate for a little pecker. Shoot one if you want to, but they are unnecessary.

With regards to energy - i don't buy into the min of 1500 ft lbs of energy for elk. I am not sure where that originated, but its seems to be just an arbitrary number. The velocity needs to be high enough that the bullet of choice will reliably expand. Energy numbers people think they need are way over-rated.

Without trying to be a smart ***, have you ever seen a 1,000 yard rifle range,or done any accurate shooting at that distance? Here in New Mexico, at altitude, hitting a heart/lung shot is a challenge at 600 yards, doing so at 800 yards is a hell of a lot more difficult,and 1,000 yards is magnitudes more difficult on a first shot scenario of hunting. All these shots have been made, and will continue to be made in the future,but they are much easier to hit with a typewriter or keyboarding.

Without trying to be a smart ---, have you ever seen a 1,000 yard rifle range,or done any accurate shooting at that distance? Here in New Mexico, at altitude, hitting a heart/lung shot is a challenge at 600 yards, doing so at 800 yards is a hell of a lot more difficult,and 1,000 yards is magnitudes more difficult on a first shot scenario of hunting. All these shots have been made, and will continue to be made in the future,but they are much easier to hit with a typewriter or keyboarding.

You realize this is a long range hunting forum? I think we should assume if a guy is going to shoot at an elk at 1000 yards he is doing some practice. If you put in the time, 600 and 800 yard shots are chip shots. 1000 yards is no big deal for a lot of people on this site.

As stated many times previously there are a lot of great choices to obtain a long gun which will provide the horsepower and shooting distance way beyond what you can see to drop large game.
A thousand yard shot over level ground with zero wind is attainable and repeatable, with plenty of practice and your finely tuned reloads. Add a 5 MPH cross breeze and the odds of a clean hit diminish. Add another 5 MPH breeze through the trajectory at a different angle and the odds are now greatly reduced, especially if a thermal or two is added.
Shooting long distance is rewarding and a blast. Making the choice of a clean kill requires a lot of practice and a love for mathematics.

1000 yards for elk = big gun...I originally started out getting a do everything single gun, though at the time i didn't think i would be shooting over 300 yds. In my mind, one gun for 1000 yd elk and deer and antelope is asking a lot...and if it is one gun and you want to practice and not burn out a barrel quickly, then you can't shoot it too often.

Fast forward and my shooting improved and I wanted higher BC and LR capabilities. I also wanted something for smaller game, like Whitetail, that wouldn't be more than a few hundred yards away. So now my 30-06 gets little use and I will take a bath on it of/when i sell it. I have a 28 Nosler, 280 AI, and 6.5 Creed, which I mainly got so my 9 yr old could start to hunt and not be bowled over by recoil. It also allows me to practice often bc barrel life is good on the smaller guns.

I would either consider getting a 7 mag and limiting shots to 600ish or get a bigger gun (RUM, Nosler, 338j and realize that it will be way overkill for close up deer and antelope and will not be a gun that you can practice with often due to Barrel life.

Pennsylvania... I would highly recommend a 300 Win Magnum in any make BUT a Savage

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.