280 AI Savage Long Range hunter

motrophyhunter

Have a Friend that wants a 280AI and can't afford a custom rifle. Has anyone had experience in the Savage long range hunter in a 280AI, stock number 57147? It is 9 twist barrel so should be suitable for the bullets up to the Berger 180 VLD. He wants to use it for antelope, deer, Elk and Moose.

I have a .280AI but in a custom rifle 8 twist and I love it. I was just wondering how accurate the Savage LRH in .280AI was since he wants a gun to shoot longer distances.

Have a Friend that wants a 280AI and can't afford a custom rifle. Has anyone had experience in the Savage long range hunter in a 280AI, stock number 57147? It is 9 twist barrel so should be suitable for the bullets up to the Berger 180 VLD. He wants to use it for antelope, deer, Elk and Moose.

There is no doubt that the .280 AI is capable on all of the game listed. However, my personal preference would be either the 7MM RM or the .300 WM esp. when it comes with a muzzle brake already. Having said that the .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. With 1:9" twist, load it with 215 Berger and you're golden.

I started out learning to shoot long distance and reload on a Savage LRH in 6.5x284-- helluva rifle for the price!!!

I'm not sure the 1-9" in a 280ai is what I'd want but the 6.5x284 is 1-8... just saying.

If your buddy wants one have him get the 280AI it's a great cartridge and perfectly capable of doing what he wants. I Think the 168 are perfect for it.
The only problem is it might have a short throat, but a good Smith could lengthen that for him if it does.

There is no doubt that the .280 AI is capable on all of the game listed. However, my personal preference would be either the 7MM RM or the .300 WM esp. when it comes with a muzzle brake already. Having said that the .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. With 1:9" twist, load it with 215 Berger and you're golden.
FEENIX,
Appreciate your personal opinion but my friend has made up his mind to get a .280AI. I'm just searching for someone that may have the Savage LRH model 57147 to see if it is a shooter.

If your buddy wants one have him get the 280AI it's a great cartridge and perfectly capable of doing what he wants. I Think the 168 are perfect for it.
The only problem is it might have a short throat, but a good Smith could lengthen that for him if it does.
Yes, that's what I told him that since it is a factory rifle he will run into that.

Well, I'm sure they might have been close..they sure were a MOA..I don't know many shooters that can consistently hold 1/2 MOA on a hunting rifle in field conditions (wind, shooters conditions ect). I look at it if the rifle is consistent, and will place 3 shots MOA or less..it is an accurate rifle. These I'm sure did that as I remember they did well... one is owned by my cousin Robert...he post here from time to time...he could probably weigh in better than I since he owns it.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.