Long range all around western rifle

Man - you opened a can of worms. Lots of opinions, lots of opinions being thrown around like facts as well.

In my experience a 6.5 or .284 bullet is plenty for elk out to 1000 yards - you just have to shoot one with a high enough BC.

Don't listen to these guys who claim you have to have a 300 or 338 - they are just trying to compensate for a little pecker. Shoot one if you want to, but they are unnecessary.

With regards to energy - i don't buy into the min of 1500 ft lbs of energy for elk. I am not sure where that originated, but its seems to be just an arbitrary number. The velocity needs to be high enough that the bullet of choice will reliably expand. Energy numbers people think they need are way over-rated.
Right. I agree then it should be the 6.5 creedmoor for elk at 1000yds or even more

I replied on another thread 7mm rem. It is a fine choice for a one gun arsenal.
Personally i hunt with a 270 win, with a 150 partition. Or 35 whelen. If griz are in my area the whelen with a 200 or 225 grain barnes bullet is my choice.
Good luck on your long range venture. It can be accomplished with plenty of time, equipment, and money.

Last edited:
While I love my 6.5X284 - & Barnes TSX made a wonderful hole thru breadbasket of Moose... & my 280 Ackley did wonderfully across the field @ — 550+ on Strolling Elk — (it was across Ravine from one Meadow to Another (wind dinna Matter)
& Yes Penna. was Original 1000 yds. Benchrest Starter - There R not a lot of 1000 yd. ranges back East & Gentle Rolling hills with hay fields in between hardwood forests is nothing like the Western Foothills & Rockies —
So just because it's a long range Hunting forum does not equate with long range Hunting experience in a mountainous environment, NOR does a small pill (even with great BC) that is reaching way out Maintain adequate energy to deal with a Big Bone in a Big Critter — I'd rather my 45-70 with 550 grainer & it's Rainbow Trajectory — But all that energy due to weight on that bone @ 1000 yds.
Just Saying IMHO

Right. I agree then it should be the 6.5 creedmoor for elk at 1000yds or even more
I totally disagree on the 6.5 CM for 1,000 yards for elk. It may be a fine round but doesn't have enough "poop" for that, unless you're really, really lucky and, therefore, ill-advised. I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, but I think the 6.5 CM is getting a little too much love. There are other rounds out there that can do what it does, and better.

I replied on another thread 7mm rem. It is a fine choice for a one gun arsenal.
Personally i hunt with a 270 win, or 35 whelen. If griz are in my area the whelen with a 200 or 225 grain barnes bullet is my choice.
Good luck on your long range venture. It can be accomplished with plenty of time, equipment, and money.
Love my Whelan (I have felt safe with my 250 grain Grand Slams, A Frames, & North Forks -

Take a look at the 28 Nosler. I have two, one I built and one I just won. The one I built shoots great with 180 bergers around 3100 fps. I could push it faster but i found a good node there. The one I won is an X bolt western hunter. I think I will likely sell it as I like my current one alot. Anyway give that cartridge a look.
What is your asking price for the bowler? I've been interested in that caliber but do not want to buy a new one just in case I don't like it.

338 Lazzeroni or the next set-up larger then this...

More than adequate,,, deadly accurate in a 17 ish lb frame,,, and the game of keepers with 1 shot...

Its just that simple...

The nice thing about these big bores with heavy lead is shot to shot consistanty...

If it hits the pie plate on Monday at yardage,,, it will do the same thing on Friday and Next week Thursday becuase constancy is built into matrix...

The only thing the shooter needs to do is dial in for the conditions and dope the range...

My friend has 2 world record Provincial Elk hanging on his walls,,, that's right,,, """walls.""" Ha...

Did you know that a Royal 7x7 Elk mount takes up 1 wall all by its self. LOL.

He has 7 land canons,,, his Lazzeroni is his go to unit with a proven track record...

350 gr VLD with change left over if the critter is past that distance...

Waaaaay beyond my shooting skills fore sure. Ha

While I love my 6.5X284 - & Barnes TSX made a wonderful hole thru breadbasket of Moose... & my 280 Ackley did wonderfully across the field @ — 550+ on Strolling Elk — (it was across Ravine from one Meadow to Another (wind dinna Matter)
& Yes Penna. was Original 1000 yds. Benchrest Starter - There R not a lot of 1000 yd. ranges back East & Gentle Rolling hills with hay fields in between hardwood forests is nothing like the Western Foothills & Rockies —
So just because it's a long range Hunting forum does not equate with long range Hunting experience in a mountainous environment, NOR does a small pill (even with great BC) that is reaching way out Maintain adequate energy to deal with a Big Bone in a Big Critter — I'd rather my 45-70 with 550 grainer & it's Rainbow Trajectory — But all that energy due to weight on that bone @ 1000 yds.
Just Saying IMHO

If this is what this forum has been reduced to I need to find another venue. Elk aren't that tough - people that make ****poor shots on elk and see them run off start telling people they are bullet proof. You stick a berger behind the shoulder of an elk and he is dead. It doesnt matter if it is a .257 115gr or a 140gr .264 or a 140gr .277 or a 168 .284. Elk are easy to kill if you don't suck. Know your gun and your limits and shoot the right shot for the bullet you choose and they die.

338 Lazzeroni or the next set-up larger then this...

More than adequate,,, deadly accurate in a 17 ish lb frame,,, and the game of keepers with 1 shot...

Its just that simple...

The nice thing about these big bores with heavy lead is shot to shot consistanty...

If it hits the pie plate on Monday at yardage,,, it will do the same thing on Friday and Next week Thursday becuase constancy is built into matrix...

The only thing the shooter needs to do is dial in for the conditions and dope the range...

My friend has 2 world record Provincial Elk hanging on his walls,,, that's right,,, """walls.""" Ha...

Did you know that a Royal 7x7 Elk mount takes up 1 wall all by its self. LOL.

He has 7 land canons,,, his Lazzeroni is his go to unit with a proven track record...

350 gr VLD with change left over if the critter is past that distance...

Waaaaay beyond my shooting skills fore sure. Ha
Are you saying the 338 Lazzeroni is inherently more accurate than any other round?

Lots to consider in this thread for the OP. Having lived and hunted in Colorado almost all my life, I can tell you quite a bit about harvesting game, elk in particular. I have been a member here a very long time but seldom post. I enjoy reading and learning when I am not on the range practicing....and now coaching my kids. Several friends are guides and I have been on lots of hunts help and guiding myself. I just love it.

I have ZERO doubt lighter calibers like 6mm, 6.5, .270 can harvest elk cleanly. In predation hunts or cull hunts, I have seen them hit with .22-250 or swifts in the brain and it is like they were touched by God himself. Dead instantly. Placement is key... the usual understatement of the year.

Pick a caliber you can shoot very well and grow with. If pressed to come up with one ELK caliber for long range...600yds or MORE, I would pick something in the .300 or .338 class. I say that based upon watching many miss hits at long range. Bigger pills make an elk sicker quicker. Lace a hind quarter with a 147 6.5 vs. a 250 .338 and you will know what I mean. Not at all saying a marksman can't make a 6.5 prc work at ranges over 600yds, but the margin of error goes up considerably.

All around rifle for me is an HS precision built 7stw. I load it up or down depending on quarry and it works great for me. But I do use big levers in timber. .348, .45-70, .50 Alaskan. When dealing with deadfall and branches I can't seem to see, these rounds plow right through. Shots are usually less than 100yds and a scoped long range stick is of little use for putting meat in the freezer in that timber. The point is we almost all have different sticks for different types of hunting, so figure out what and where you will hunt 90% of the time and purchase based upon that data. Then practice.

If this is what this forum has been reduced to I need to find another venue. Elk aren't that tough - people that make ----poor shots on elk and see them run off start telling people they are bullet proof. You stick a berger behind the shoulder of an elk and he is dead. It doesnt matter if it is a .257 115gr or a 140gr .264 or a 140gr .277 or a 168 .284. Elk are easy to kill if you don't suck. Know your gun and your limits and shoot the right shot for the bullet you choose and they die.

The OP was started talking about a 1000 yard elk gun and cartridge. Your analogies have nothing to even come close the the original post. A 32-20 under the ear will take the legs out from under them at close range. The cocktails must be tasting better than those backstraps.

28 Nosler, you can load heavy or light loads. I shot a elk, pronghorn and deer last year and was quite impressed.
Excellent choice. The downside being availability of ammo and which can be somewhat on the pricey side but not much of an issue if you're not shooting a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.