Lightweight hunting suppressor

His gunsmith soaked the can in clr, used ultra sonic, did not work. More than likely, the degree of fouling is a huge issue. As his became clogged, it became less effective in noise reduction.

Most quality center fire cans are not user serviceable (taken apart), they do not need to be. You will never wear it out or clog it up with normal use. For a rimfire can it is pretty standard for them to be user serviced. Rimfire ammo is dirty by nature and you want to be able to take it apart and clean it. All three of my rimfire can are like this. None of my centerfire rifle rated cans are. I shoot weekly with thousands of rounds through several of them with no issues.
The issue with rimfire is the wax on the bullets as that is not easily removed with traditional cleaning methods used for sealed cans.
His gunsmith soaked the can in clr, used ultra sonic, did not work. More than likely, the degree of fouling is a huge issue. As his became clogged, it became less effective in noise reduction.
So what kind of can did he have and what did he shoot through it? Let us know who makes such a terrible can that even they can't get it clean.

If he shot a ton of rimfire through a sealed can then there is your problem.

I bought my first suppressor in 2014 and shoot about 1k rounds a year on this first suppressor. Though it can be taken apart I've never felt the need to have it cleaned.

With that being said, I wouldn't focus on just length and weight for one's first suppressor. Though it is nice to have an "all purpose can", it's more advantageous to think about specific purpose. If it's light, it won't necessarily work on a shorter barrel (for some calibers/manufacturers that can mean 24" length). If its primary use is hunting weight may be important, but if its going on a 300 wsm with a 26" barrel, an 8oz can is going to feel heavier and less handy than 16oz can on a 16" barreled 308.

Of all my cans, my most frequently used is my heaviest. My least often utilized is an 8oz one that has severe limitations on calibers and barrel combo. In hunting scenarios I couldn't tell you which suppressor I own is quietest.

I've seen some criticism to banish 30s in historical posts but it seems like a similar can to that type of suppressor can be a happy medium for others on caliber and use purpose mixes.

Get an Omega 300 and get an Energetic Armament titanium direct thread adapter and titanium flat end cap. Shoot any 30 cal, even full auto, weighs like 11 oz, and the direct thread from Ebergetic shortens the overall length by about 3/4". The shorter profile with lighter weight changes the feel on the end of your barrel dramatically. It's not cheap but about as close to a do-all set up as you can get.

New Can weight

Dirty can Weight

Can weight after sonic cleaner

Build-up over time is something you have to discover for yourself as there are MANY factors.

A guy that shoots 1000 rounds per day on Ground squirrels and p. dogs is going to have very different needs than a guy that hunts big game only.

New Can weight

Dirty can Weight

Can weight after sonic cleaner

Build-up over time is something you have to discover for yourself as there are MANY factors.

A guy that shoots 1000 rounds per day on Ground squirrels and p. dogs is going to have very different needs than a guy that hunts big game only.
You've spent an awful lot of time telling folks how some crowds won't know what they're talking about, without actually answering any questions about what the actual suppressor in question were that were so utterly terrible. Many, many of us shoot high volume here, so don't think you're special in that regard.

My 22 can comes apart every 2000 rounds or so for routine cleaning. Never had an issue, but 22 is waxy and dirty. My Omega 30 (sealed can) is about 6 years old, and has had roughly 12,000 rounds through it. When I bought it, I asked silencerco about cleaning it. They said "it shouldn't need any, but if you ever feel like it needs cleaned, do a few hard mag dumps with hot ammo and it'll burn out most of the buildup in the can".

Out of curiosity, I tried that. Suppression was still quiet, it didn't need any cleaning, but I got curious. I weighed the can before and after, then burned 50 rounds of reloaded .308 through my ar10. It lost just over 1.1 ounces, smoked like a chimney, and worked great. That was in my first year of ownership. I've never seen a need to do it again, but it's an optional way to clean it if for some reason you just have to do so.

You've spent an awful lot of time telling folks how some crowds won't know what they're talking about, without actually answering any questions about what the actual suppressor in question were that were so utterly terrible. Many, many of us shoot high volume here, so don't think you're special in that regard.

My 22 can comes apart every 2000 rounds or so for routine cleaning. Never had an issue, but 22 is waxy and dirty. My Omega 30 (sealed can) is about 6 years old, and has had roughly 12,000 rounds through it. When I bought it, I asked silencerco about cleaning it. They said "it shouldn't need any, but if you ever feel like it needs cleaned, do a few hard mag dumps with hot ammo and it'll burn out most of the buildup in the can".

Out of curiosity, I tried that. Suppression was still quiet, it didn't need any cleaning, but I got curious. I weighed the can before and after, then burned 50 rounds of reloaded .308 through my ar10. It lost just over 1.1 ounces, smoked like a chimney, and worked great. That was in my first year of ownership. I've never seen a need to do it again, but it's an optional way to clean it if for some reason you just have to do so.
I do not shoot enough to ever plug up a can, but look up a video by Jim Eagleman of Barbour Creek. He shows how to take apart a plugged can and clean it. It was plugged!!!

SemperFi