suppressor for hunting

TYoung

Hi all,

Looking for advice on a possible suppressor to use on my 300 Weatherby and other 30 caliber guns. Want to see what people are using out there, pros and cons to each. I've heard from several local people that once you start shooting with a suppressor you won't want to shoot without one. Just wonder if that's the case or if they're just trying to sell me one. I like the idea of helping with recoil when my kids shoot and also the noise. Let me know your guys's thoughts thanks in advance Tim

Thunderbeast Ultra 9 is rated for up to 300 RUM. They're solid titanium so they're very lightweight, have minimal POI shift, and suppress really well from what I hear. Everyone seems to be very pleased with theirs. You can get it in either a CB model (uses a QD muzzle brake setup) or a DT (Direct Thread) model. For precision rifles, I like the idea of direct thread better, just because when you have as many rifles as I do, buying a muzzle brake adapter for every single one of them, will cost as much (or more) than buying a 2nd suppressor. So, with DT models, you can just buy a $20 thread protector for each rifle, when you're not shooting with it on the gun.

Not sure if it's rated up to .300 Weatherby (might want to contact Dead Air), but the Sandman Ti is only $699 at Silencer Shop, and is a direct-thread model. If you call Dead Air, please let me know what they say about whether it can handle .300Wby or not? I have a .300 Ackley (.300 Wby improved) and I have been curious for a while now if it can handle it. I'm sure it can, being that it's a solid Ti suppressor, but just want to hear it from them, as to whether it will void your warranty, or not.

Also, the Dead Air Sandman-L is a good one from what I hear. Once again, it's only rated for up to .300 WinMag, but you can call Dead Air and find out if it can safely handle the .300 Weatherby. If you do, please post up what they say, as I'm curious to know about this one, as well.

Last edited:
I don't have it in hand yet , but I bought a SAS Arbiter MX . It's titanium, rated for 300 RUM and is a thread over muzzle brake mount . I had a chance to try a friend's cheap direct thread suppressor on my rifle and was thoroughly impressed with the sound suppression, but the can came loose after 2-3 rounds. TOMB mount for me

I have a few Dakota direct thread cans, can't say enough good things about them.
My 9 year old daughter loves shooting with them. They tame the recoil of her 260 AI enough for her to enjoy and she loves shooting 22's with them.
A lot of good ones out there, just went with Dakota because my gunsmith recommended them.
Get a can! Your kids will thank you for it,

Hi all,

Looking for advice on a possible suppressor to use on my 300 Weatherby and other 30 caliber guns. Want to see what people are using out there, pros and cons to each. I've heard from several local people that once you start shooting with a suppressor you won't want to shoot without one. Just wonder if that's the case or if they're just trying to sell me one. I like the idea of helping with recoil when my kids shoot and also the noise. Let me know your guys's thoughts thanks in advance Tim

Tim,

I have an Eliteiron Bravo (https://www.eliteiron.com/product/bravo-30-cal/, rated for .300 RUM/.30-378 WBTY) on my .30 LARA (.30/8 MM Rem Mag improved, I can shoot factory .300 WBTY in a pinch) but this year will be my first try on hunting. It's SS so it's not as light as the TI but weight is never an issue for me. While it is not as effective as the muzzle brake in reducing recoil it is pleasure to shoot - it is the best compromise in recoil/muzzle and noise reduction.

For my next suppressor, I am considering the multi-caliber Hybrid 46 (https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/).

Good luck!

Ed

I'm running a SilencerCo Omega. Works great on everything from 300 win mag in direct-thread form (~13oz), to 5.56 AR with ASR QD mount (~18oz w/ brake/fh).

Unless you plan to buy other 30-cal cans in the near future, commit every gun you'd want to screw it on to a list and choose a can that works for all. Definitely consider mounts and/or adapters.

Thanks Everyone, for your input. I'm glad to hear that 2 of the ones I was interested in were mentioned. (thunderbeast and elite Iron)

Tim

I don't own a suppressor yet, but all of my research is pointing me to the thunderbeast. I am looking hard at the thunderbeast 7 for my needs.

I have a couple of thunderbeast ultra 9s that I use on my 7-300 weatherby down to.223. I made them direct thread by blue loctiting the 30 cal. Brake in them. I can remove it if I need to and I don't have to have brakes on all my rifles. I hate shooting with a brake.

I have a YHM nitro 30, rated to 300 rum, and full auto rated. It's modular so it can mount to a qd adapter or DT. It's a little heavier than the Omega, but it's not bad at all. Around 18 ounces, but its only $695 on silencer shop. Another thing is the spring in the qd mount that keeps pressure on the threads so it doesn't work itself loose is in the qd mount, not the actual can. So if/when the spring wears out you just need a new qd mount, don't have to deal with sending the can back to the manufacturer. and going through all the red tape that goes with sending and then receiving a can. It has repeatable POI shift. So very easy to go back and forth shooting with and without it. It's a great can, and its cheap.

I use Thunder Beast. Have 3 of them, and switch them among rifles, so have qd brakes on all my rifles. For hunting, I use the 7, but could see having a 5 for that purpose. The longer the suppressor, the less wieldy the weapon, and for hunting I like wieldy. If you are in a situation where you cannot use the suppressor, the TB brake is good for controlling recoil, but it does direct blast strongly to sides, so your hunting companion/guide needs to be aware and behind, and all need good hearing pro. The brake could be better designed as a standalone brake, but there are probably limits to that when designing to pair with suppressor. At least it doesnt direct down, so there is no dust cloud effect. Recent hunt for aoudad showed why suppressor is great. My friend shooting a 308 unsuppressed scattered the herd after first shot (and miss). He switched to my suppressed 6.5 creedmoor later that day, and though he missed his first shot again (in fairness, 350 yard high angle shot with 10-15mph variable crosswind), this bunch did not scatter and his second shot anchored a nice ram. Without the suppressor, I'm not sure he would have had that shot.

The two brands that I have resulted to fall back on after trying 6 different brands, are Thunderbeast and SRT ARMS. They both are on the expensive side but you get what you pay for!

Went down and ordered my new thunderbeast Ultra 9 for my 300 Weatherby today, now it's just the waiting game. Figured I would share the information on what everything cost, so if anybody is thinking of buying one might be aware of the cost involved.

2- passport photos (Walgreens) $16
2- finger print cards (ups store) $56
Silencer shop ez trust $131
Trust notarized (ups store) $20
ATF tax stamp $200
Bank cashiers check $10
Thunder beast ultra 9 w/ cb mount $1195
Tax $100
Gun shop processing and ship $60

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.