Cutting barrel for suppressor

mkmiller1

I have a rem. 700P 308 with the 26" barrel. This gun shoots better than I do as it is, I consistently shoot .6MOA out to 650yds(as far as I have available now) using FGMM and shoots almost as well with federal vital shock ammo. I'm in the process of getting my stamp and buying an Omega suppressor. My question is how much can I cut off my barrel without affecting my accuracy? I was hoping to cut at least 4"-6" off and wouldn't be against 8" because of the added length of the suppressor(little over 7"). I need your opinions and preferably your results if you have done this. Just a little iffy on the 8" cut.
Thanks,
Matthew

I have a .308 that has a 17 in. with a 1-7 twist. I made it to primary shoot subsonic ammo. I shoot both subs and supersonic rounds with accuracy and I love it. I have a Gem-Tech Sandstorm on it.

If you want to shoot subsonic ammo (not many people do) I would not go more than 20 in. Really - more like 18 IMO.

If you are going to shoot regular rounds out of it than you can leave it the same length or take as much off as you wish. Only velocity should be affected not accuracy. However the can will cause a shift in your POI

All 4 of my SOTs took min. of 9 mos.

If you need any more help PM me.

Check with the suppressor maker, they may have a minimum barrel length for use with that suppressor. Your accuracy should remain if the cutoff is done properly, but you will lose some velocity.

Cutting a barrel off is absolutely going to change the harmonics of the barrel and that will affect your accuracy. No one can tell you ahead of time just how much.

You will also lose somewhere between 50-100fps per inch when you cut it.

With a rifle shooting that well I'd be very hesitant to cut it off.

Cutting a barrel off is absolutely going to change the harmonics of the barrel and that will affect your accuracy. No one can tell you ahead of time just how much.

You will also lose somewhere between 50-100fps per inch when you cut it.

With a rifle shooting that well I'd be very hesitant to cut it off.

I agree with being hesitant to touch it but I can see you not wanting another 9 in on top of your barrel. Also some cans may give a little more velocity than when they are off. I chorno both ways to check

I lost closer to 50 fps per in. It will change your harmonics-every little thing you do to it can or will change it. But if your smith is worth a crap you shouldn't loose accuracy even though you will have a POI shift.

My brother actually had his groups open up a little when is can was on. Most manufactures will guarantee that accuracy will not be hurt but your zero will shift(POI)

Good luck

Cutting off a barrel will change the harmonics, just as adding a suppressor will change it. To date I have not seen a rifle lose accuracy by adding a suppressor, so I would not expect a barrel to lose accuracy by cutting it back.

Thanks for all the input so far. I'll let you know my main concerns with my rifle based on the replys so far:

Noise- can will eliminate most of this

LOSS in FPS-I do plan on hunting deer with this rifle using vital shock ammo (2700 fps) and if I loose 50-100 fps per inch removed will I still have the energy to take animals in the 600yd range.

Scope hashes- I'm topped with a zeiss 5x25-50 rz-1000 that has performed as advertised with 168gr. FGMM and prefer not to have to relearn all the hashes(because loss of fps) just because I wanted a more manageable barrel length otherwise I would have went with a NF.

This makes me think cutting 6"+ is out of the question but what are opinions on cutting 2"-4" or just having a "long tom" rifle?
Opinions?
School me.
Thanks,
Matthew

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you were in and out of vehicles all the time on a service rifle as a LEO or on active duty hunting two legged animals, then a short rifle would serve your needs. Is it way too heavy to hike with? I wouldn't cut it simply so it fits in your rifle case with the can on. Cutting it will effectively limit your ability to use heavier bullets I.m.o.

Thanks for all the input so far. I'll let you know my main concerns with my rifle based on the replys so far:

Noise- can will eliminate most of this

LOSS in FPS-I do plan on hunting deer with this rifle using vital shock ammo (2700 fps) and if I loose 50-100 fps per inch removed will I still have the energy to take animals in the 600yd range.

Scope hashes- I'm topped with a zeiss 5x25-50 rz-1000 that has performed as advertised with 168gr. FGMM and prefer not to have to relearn all the hashes(because loss of fps) just because I wanted a more manageable barrel length otherwise I would have went with a NF.

This makes me think cutting 6"+ is out of the question but what are opinions on cutting 2"-4" or just having a "long tom" rifle?
Opinions?
School me.
Thanks,
Matthew
Matt the only time the extra length is a problem is when you are carrying it in heavy cover.

The suppressor I used added about 8" total length to my 26" barrel during my trip to Africa. Other than when I was carrying it slung over my shoulder did it cause any issue even on long stalks.

Depending on what model suppressor you settle on you'll find that some of them are very quick to attach and detach and even those that you have to screw on every time are not a big problem to carry in your pack and just put on once you are settled into your shooting position.

Personally I would not cut the barrel off on a rifle shooting as well as yours is for any reason. It's just not worth it.

Going down to 20" won't cost you that much velocity with the ammo you're using. Probably around 10 fps per inch, nowhere near 50-100. A .308 with ~168 grain bullets will burn nearly all of it's powder in the first 18-20". A 300 RUM would be a different story but you're only burning 1/2 as much powder.

Thanks for all your advice. Pondering it I think I'll just add the can to the 26 and be done with it. The gun just shoots too good to take a chance by changing it up.
Thanks again,
Matthew

Thanks for all your advice. Pondering it I think I'll just add the can to the 26 and be done with it. The gun just shoots too good to take a chance by changing it up.
Thanks again,
Matthew
Matt,
I am a class III dealer, Shooter and hunter. I can make a case for leaving it and cutting it. If it's shooting that good, Try it with out cutting the barrel. if it works and doesn't seem to cumbersome hunting then DRIVE ON RANGER.
#2. If it's a pain in the bush then cut, or do another rifle.
I hunted with a 26" for one year, TN deer season 2012. After the season i built a 18" just for hunting. I didn't care for the size of the 26" plus a can. My 18" would reach out to 975' with 175"s. very happy with it.

If you go the way of a AI AT you can easily change out barrels. My new hunting rig is a AXMC, i have a 6.5CM 22" for general use, and a 18" 308 for hunting. I am also thinking about a 18" 6.5CM barrel. just for giggles.

Hope this helps. If you have any Class III questions feel free to ring me 816-718-9489 or PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.