Hunting with a suppressor

I find it difficult to understand why so many muzzle forward cans are used. An over barrel suppressor (6" back and 3" forward) is the same weight and only 3-4" forward of the muzzle, hence mainly mitigating the problem of 6-9" added barrel length with a can.
NZTahr, I am not familiar and have never saw a suppressor designed like this. My question is who offers this version and are they just as effective at sound reduction as the normal ones that we are familiar with? Thanks with help on this subject.

NZTahr, I am not familiar and have never saw a suppressor designed like this. My question is who offers this version and are they just as effective at sound reduction as the normal ones that we are familiar with? Thanks with help on this subject.
Aac used to make over the barrel suppressors but i dont think they make them anymore. Griffin armament make one called the rtsa, some of the early surefires where OTB but not the new socom ones and last but not least allen engineering makes 2 models one in 5.56 and one in .30 cal. The Allen engineering 5.56 is what is used on the mk12 squad desingnated marksman rifle for the marines. They can be quieter than normal cans but normally heavier.

I have a couple Griffin Recce5 and a mack brothers mb762l and mb762s. The Griffin taper mounts are IMHO the best most repeatable mounts and most places have them in all sorts of thread patterns although I do like the mack brothers mounts too. Very solid both.

Here is a link to an example that is very commonly used here in NZ. I'm not sure if you can import them into your State or if there is an agent in the US. In any event, if you are able to import one for your personal use they would be very good value given the USD/NZD exchange rate. This link is to the standard caliber model. The magnum model is the same length forward (3.75") of the muzzle but comes back over the barrel a little further.

http://www.dpt.co.nz/product.php?id_product=92

What's the best way to keep from thinking about how long the process will be?

It's been 2 days and I'm going nuts.

it took a full year to get mine, but i started the process in february of 2013 right after sandy hook. i used that time to take my rifle to a smith and have it threaded. he had it for 6 months after telling me it would take around 2. so i spent 4 months trying to get the barrel threaded. then all i had to do was wait for 8 months. i sort of forgot about it from november until it came in sometime in february of 2014. i'll hopefully be buying another soon.

Here is a link to an example that is very commonly used here in NZ. I'm not sure if you can import them into your State or if there is an agent in the US. In any event, if you are able to import one for your personal use they would be very good value given the USD/NZD exchange rate. This link is to the standard caliber model. The magnum model is the same length forward (3.75") of the muzzle but comes back over the barrel a little further.

Thanks, what other OTB options are in NZ? The only one I've thought about getting here in the US was a Ballista (Idaho suppressor company, Riverman) OTB Supp. Just have never heard from anyone with first hand experience with one. Its 5in forward of the muzzle and they seem to be partnered with a NZ company.

Thanks, what other OTB options are in NZ? The only one I've thought about getting here in the US was a Ballista (Idaho suppressor company, Riverman) OTB Supp. Just have never heard from anyone with first hand experience with one. Its 5in forward of the muzzle and they seem to be partnered with a NZ company.

https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item/spartan-suppressor

They have a very good reputation.

What brand is considered as the best? I know a lot of folks like tbac, but im talking if money is not a problem? Also, how much of recoil does top end cans reduce? For comparison top end brakes reduce up to ~77% recoil. I seen hybrid cans with brake on the end... like mirage ulr, seems like a nice brand that no one talks about.

Last edited:

I've often wondered why this is not done, but apparently it is. Does the end that slips over the muzzle have an oring that seals it to the barrel? And does it effect barrel harmonics/accuracy?

I've often wondered why this is not done, but apparently it is. Does the end that slips over the muzzle have an oring that seals it to the barrel? And does it effect barrel harmonics/accuracy?
Hello, they have a nylon bush which is reamed to a snug fit around the barrel at the base of the suppresor. Its mainly for support. Mostly rifles are more accurate (likely to do with the reduced noise and recoil on the shooter) and pick up a little bit of velocity. I have half a dozen over-barrel suppressors. I can't get over what you pay for your cans and suppressors. Ours are one third of the price. I should say that these are duralumin type alloy and won't stand an ar15 type sustained fire (but we don't do that much here anyway). They are good for many many thousands of rounds of hunting and target use though.

Hello, they have a nylon bush which is reamed to a snug fit around the barrel at the base of the suppresor. Its mainly for support. Mostly rifles are more accurate (likely to do with the reduced noise and recoil on the shooter) and pick up a little bit of velocity. I have half a dozen over-barrel suppressors. I can't get over what you pay for your cans and suppressors. Ours are one third of the price. I should say that these are duralumin type alloy and won't stand an ar15 type sustained fire (but we don't do that much here anyway). They are good for many many thousands of rounds of hunting and target use though.
That's pretty cool. I'm not much for rapid fire either. I agree is a pity what we have to deal with to get one. I costs me $200 to get permission to build one, then whatever materials cost. But I'm glad to hear from you on this, I think I'm going to try this out on my next build.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.