Hunting with a suppressor

I've got one of the sorriest home built on a form-1 you could imagine, just freeze plugs in a tube that threads onto my barrel. 308 win. Drilled 3/8" bore with a drill press that had so much run out the holes are pyramid shaped. It's amazing how well that thing reduces felt recoil and take the sound down. So I can only imagine a better design would likely improve on the sound suppression, but I wanted to tell you about my awful homebuilt to maybe help you worry less about which one to buy. I comfortably shoot it without hearing protection and dont have any complaints.

Could you elaborate on this process? If I knew the legal route I'd definitely spin one up. PM me if you think it'll derail the thread.

I will agree with yorke-1, suppressors do not fit my hunting preferences. I do have a Silencerco Omega, while it works well in many circumstances, it really does not make enough difference in most loads that I feel I should shoot without hearing pro. The added length on even a dedicated suppressor rifle is a bit much and just not worth it to me.

I have plans to get a dedicated rimfire suppressor, which is one of the few places I feel they do what I want them to do.

I do alot of hunting with friends and family. Running a muzzle break and shooting next to my wife or friends isn't an option. They are just to loud, so I just deal with the added weight. And also my zero changes with or without the suppressor.

OP, It's a no brainer, buy the best you can afford and move on. You won't regret having the option. Like others, I dial back bbl lengths to accommodate the added length and will put on anywhere from a 5" up to 9" can on, situation dependent. Always trade offs. The Ultra 7 you mentioned is an outstanding choice btw

Ive used them for years, accepting the weight penalty and point of impact change. On several rifles, suppressing them has tightened groups up a bit.

My 26" 6.5X47 is now 22" as it was too cumbersome.

I also find a caliber specific can works better in terms of volume reduction, but it's hard to go past a .30cal that can be used on anything smaller.

I still like hearing protection at the range, they aren't enough on their own to prevent hearing damage. Likewise if shooting with dogs, they are excellent, and I subscribe to the theory that animals are less spooked by a shot fired from a suppressed firearm. Only hearing the supersonic crack doesn't seem to offer them as much info as to where a shot came from.

My only everyday use rifle that's unsuppressed is a very lightweight 7X57R - and it kicks, and barks noticeably more than my others.

Apart from protecting your and other peoples ears, using a suppressor can help if you want / need to shoot multiple animals from one group. Of course the type of hunt dictates the combo you will use. I use a Blaser R93 in 8x68, with a 26inch barrel and hunt in open country.

Attachments

• _D5J2824.jpeg
    _D5J2824.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 201
I use an omega on my hog eradication gun and it works beautifully. Don't expect whisper quiet shots like you see in the movies. There is still a sonic crack, but that sound happens the entire distance the bullet is traveling, so the hogs never really know where the shot is coming from. In a lot of instances they end up running straight to you for even easier shots.

I agree that you will want to go suppressed. I hunt in many different situations. From box blinds to climbers and open prairie out west. All of my guns are lightweight and cut down to accommodate a suppressor. Once you go suppressed you won't go back.

I hunt with a 308 700 5 R 20" barrel and AAC 762 sdn 6 . Sub reloads 180 grain Hornady RN. All that's heard is the firing pin striking the primer and the slap of the bullet downrange... Hollywood quite for sure.

I've been a very satisfied customer of the Silencer Co Harvester suppressor. It's versatile enough to use on anything from .223 to 300 WM. It's light weight and reasonably priced as well as very well made. You can get a variety of thread adapters so it can be used on anything from an AR15 in .223 to a magnum bolt rifle up to .30 cal. One thing you will notice when you start hunting suppressed is that the game will react differently when the shot goes off.

Be careful when people tell you that you can shoot .22lr through your centerfire suppressor. .22lr is pretty dirty and if done to often you will have to dismantle the suppressor to clean it out. Most centerfire suppressors can't be disassembled. If you want to fire 22lr then get a dedicated rimfire suppressor that can be taken apart and cleaned.

Absolutely a good idea. I came to the game late as I already have/had hearing loss but per the audiologist you can keep on loosing more until it is all gone.
I started with a Gemtech for a 300 Whisper many years back and have used it quite effectively on everything under 300WM. My only regret is not going for a larger diameter/caliber can so I could use it on the 338LM and 300WM
I don't really care how heavy or big it is since I am too old to hunt mountains anymore and most all of the shooting is off of a rest or bipod.
Go for it and you will not be disappointed.

Here in NZ suppressors have been legal since they were first developed maybe 20 or so years ago. The advancement in the technology has been amazing and the most common brand (DPT) are now 10oz and only 3" forward of the muzzle for standard calibers and 3" forward but slightly heavier for magnums. Mostly people who use them (the majority of hunters) do trim their barrel by a couple of inches in the standard calibers and recover the lost velocity with the modern and faster burning powders. I have a 20" 300 SAUM and 150grn TTSX are 3150 to 3200fps using N550. With the suppressor added the barrel length is 23".
I use a dog a lot hunting and I believe I owe it to her hearing to use the suppressor, not to mention my hearing and the benefits of less recoil and muzzle blast. Altogether a more pleasant and safer experience for both of us.

I'm going to do a shorty 338 Norma, a guy I shoot with makes 2700+ with a 21" . After shooting with him I'm on board.

I cant decide on whether I want the 338norma or 338ultra .. I have 30 nosler now that is exactly the same length as a regular 26" rifle with the can installed.. I live and hunt out here in gods country and the best part is I can hunt any terrain super thick brush or open country with it … fully loaded with can its 9 1/2# it swings like a regular rifle with less recoil and blast... and if you cant pack that around well I'm sorry the gym is open 24 hours a day ha ha ha ha but no seriously though I think id be lost without them

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.