Hunting w/ suppressor or break and ear pro?

Paying a tax for a nfa item does not open you up to inspections at any time. A tax stamp is not the same as having a ffl or class 3 license, those can be inspected during normal business hours. I am pretty sure that if you own a nfa item with the proper stamp you can only be inspected voluntarily or with a warrant and that has to be specific about what they are looking for. Maybe anyone that has a stamp or a chl is on a list, even buying a hunting license could put you on a list. I will not live my life afraid of what THEY might do.

I went to a suppressor a few years ago and don't shoot without them now. No accuracy issues and all are direct thread. Length becomes more the issue over weight while hunting , I run a shorter barrel and try to burn a faster powder.
I get the whole ATF issues, if you have a SS # they are already looking at you. I know no one who has had the ATF show up because they had a registered item, but plenty that have had the IRS show up. Don't kid yourself they know who you are and what you have, so stop worrying and enjoy.

Exactly

Paying a tax for a nfa item does not open you up to inspections at any time. A tax stamp is not the same as having a ffl or class 3 license, those can be inspected during normal business hours. I am pretty sure that if you own a nfa item with the proper stamp you can only be inspected voluntarily or with a warrant and that has to be specific about what they are looking for. Maybe anyone that has a stamp or a chl is on a list, even buying a hunting license could put you on a list. I will not live my life afraid of what THEY might do.
Yes it certainly does just as buying in high volume puts you on a list and opens you up to the ATF coming by to take inventory of your firearms. The latter happens pretty frequently especially if you live in a border state.

Simply buying as many as 3 hand guns or 2 "assault weapons" per month can result in the ATF showing up requesting to see each weapon by serial number.

This isn't conspiracy nut garbage, it goes on every day.

Being on their radar doesn't guarantee you a visit, it just raises the odds that you will be visited.

I simply see no point in taking any actions which will increase my odds of ever having them come by.

I like living a quite life.

Yes it certainly does just as buying in high volume puts you on a list and opens you up to the ATF coming by to take inventory of your firearms. The latter happens pretty frequently especially if you live in a border state.

Simply buying as many as 3 hand guns or 2 "assault weapons" per month can result in the ATF showing up requesting to see each weapon by serial number.

This isn't conspiracy nut garbage, it goes on every day.

Being on their radar doesn't guarantee you a visit, it just raises the odds that you will be visited.

I simply see no point in taking any actions which will increase my odds of ever having them come by.

I like living a quite life.
While I agree with your dislike and mistrust of government involvement/perversion of our second amendment rights, I disagree with your philosophy in practice.
But that is one of the many things that make this country beautiful. the ability to talk about these things and even if we disagree about getting a durable trust or class 3 vs going through it. We still have our mutual love of the shooting sports and embrace it fully.
Personally I feel the need to regulate suppressors, SBR etc. is governmental over reach and should not be allowed. but that is a different discussion.
I respect your decision and your viewpoint.

No big deal. Like dm770 said the length can be a pain when hunting and the weight of my 338 suppressor is about 25 oz., but I really like being able to shoot without the noise and blast from a muzzle brake. I will put the same can on a 223 when I call coyotes. Still quite on my ears. To me the trade off is worth it. Shoot one on a big rifle if you get the chance. You may or may not think it is worth it. As far as the atf is concerned, they can ask you about firearm purchases if you make multiple purchases in a short time like wildrose said, but unless they have a warrant , which they need to show probable cause of a crime to get, they can not just come to your house to inventory your guns, ammo or whatever.

No, the ATF is the agency with regulatory power over NFA items. They can show up on your door step at any time requesting you to produce them.

It's not about being afraid, it's about not inviting unwanted attention.

Shoot suppressed, hunt suppressed, its my American express card. From .300BLK-300WM. 308 has a 20" barrel, that's packs good, 300WM has a 24" it's almost awkward. Go light weight, titanium or some thing.

Shoot suppressed, hunt suppressed, its my American express card. From .300BLK-300WM. 308 has a 20" barrel, that's packs good, 300WM has a 24" it's almost awkward. Go light weight, titanium or some thing.

Exactly. I stick with titanium cans for that reason. Especially on a long barrel any extra weight increases exponentially swing weight and ability to handle/maneuver.
what I am really looking forward and interested is to see how well it works with my new 308 26" build up.

I have a 700 AAC SD in .308 and a SWR Omega suppressor. The Omega does a great job in reducing the blast noise. When I am carrying the AAC with the Omega attached with a sling over my shoulder, it does get top heavy and tries to fall off my shoulder a lot. I hunt for deer and hogs out of box blinds, and the added length does make getting the AAC into a suitable firing position more difficult. I added a section of 2x10 to the railing of one of the blinds so I can balance the AAC without having to worry about getting it into position.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.