Hunting ear protection

Tiny Tim

Sound gear fan too. Trying to put something in my ear at the shot doesn't work for my style of hunting. Always struggled with the price. Went on sale for $100 off plus a case of batteries. Wow. Wish I'd have bought sooner. They are truly amazing!

rammac

Otto NoizeBarrier Micro earbuds, after 50 plus years of shooting with over 20 years in the military, these are the best I've found. They ain't cheap but they are top notch. I wear them at the range and while hunting. I have tinnitus and hearing loss and I can actually hear better with these on while shooting than I do with my natural hearing at home.

JGRJR

I use Soundgear from this site. Very effective but I always worry I will lose them. It seems most of these in ear plugs do not have any type of retaining strap. I worry about losing the $300 plugs. I would really worry about losing the custom $2000 plugs.

Anybody have a solution?

Most of my varmint hunting friends just use a set of Howard Leight plugs on the plastic ring setup. Putting them on before shooting since you have time.

7magcreedmoor

I use Soundgear from this site. Very effective but I always worry I will lose them. It seems most of these in ear plugs do not have any type of retaining strap. I worry about losing the $300 plugs. I would really worry about losing the custom $2000 plugs.

Anybody have a solution?

Most of my varmint hunting friends just use a set of Howard Leight plugs on the plastic ring setup. Putting them on before shooting since you have time.
I always use the orange sleeves, and never put them anywhere except in the case, or in my ears.

PatriotHenry

highdrum

Otto noizebarrier, love mine. They're not cheap, but performance is excellent. Has regular mode which give you your normal hearing and cuts out gun shots. Hi def mode amplifies noise during hunting. Quite useful.

WalksLikeADeer

axil GS extreme, these work, no more ear muffs.
I use the Sound Gear(SG) but these Axil's seem to solve some of the short comings of the SG. On/Off switch, volume control, rechargeable battery, once the SG's hearing aid batteries are used (opened) they continue to drain whether using them or not, and the " lanyard" to keep from losing them. I haven't lost a SG plug yet, but if one did fall out I doubt I would notice.

I'm not sure about the sound quality or how normal the Axil sound is while still hunting?

The positive for the SG, which was also a short coming is that they DON'T have a lanyard getting caught up or binding under hats or hoods when turning your head. And they don't have the volume control hanging down.

DRock

I also shoot a 28 Nosler. I shoot suppressed but am going to BC moose hunting this fall and suppressors are not legal there. I purchased SportEAR by AXIL custom in the ear protection. These are Comfortable and can be worn all day. They are also water proof And blue tooth so they pair with your phone if you want to use them to listen to music or digital book. Kind of expensive but what is your hearing worth...? This company will send someone to your home to do a hearing test and mold your ear canal or if you are in an area without a representative you go to an audiologists or anywhere they do hearing aids and get testing and molds. They will come custom tuned for your specific hearing and amplify sounds with a shut off to protect your ears when you shoot. They are different colors to distinguish left and right quickly.

Attachments

TxPhred

Reviews say they have a hum sound when used in the sound amplified setting...how are yours?
Rharfo, I have not experienced any hum. They have worked fine for me. I started with the GS Electronic (no BT) and now the GE Extremes. I like the long battery life as well. Hope this helps.

LeftyWilbury

I have the Otto NoizeBarrier for hunting. I got my buddy on a buck last year because I heard it snap a twig and was able to clue him in. Plus the gunshot didn't ruin my already poor hearing. It's just one of those investments, whether otto or soundgear, or something else. Should have asked Santa for something like this back when Santa brought me stuff.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce