Hunting with a muzzle brake, ear protection

I wear hearing protection all when shooting/hunting. Electronic ear plugs have been available for years that seamlessly respond to the sharp muzzle blast. With them you can hear normal conversation but will muffle the muzzle blast.

I wear hearing protection while using the lawn mower and weed whacker and I always wear them when at the gun range and when hunting.

Not true. The difference is that other electronic ear buds simply cut the sound off when it reaches a certain DB level, the Otto devices actually reduce the DB level so that you still hear the noise but it's at a safe level. The problem with the older style ear buds is that if you are having a conversation you will loose some parts of or entire words when the bud cuts off the sound. I've tried the Walkers and several other brands of electronic buds and none of them perform like these do. The Otto devices were designed for the military and law enforcement officers so that they could communicate during firefights, and they work.

You must have some loud talkers around if your muffs were clipping out with normal conversations.

I wear muffs and plugs. That combination is good for about 40db of antennuation. That still leaves a MB gun near or above the threshold for single exposure damage.

There's more to hearing loss than just what goes through your ear canal. There is bone conduction which muffs and plugs don't reduce. Continous high levels of sound will eventually take its toll. NO MB's for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.