Preferred Ear Pro

Well, someone got into my truck the other day and made off with my Caldwell E-MAX Shadows. I have a pair of Razor XV as back ups, but really liked the smaller form factor and rechargeable case of the Caldwell. So, in prep for buying something new, what are some of your opinions on ear pro? Prefer in ear over muff and want to have some sort of enhancement so I'm not that guy shouting all the time at the range. TIA!
Tag

trebark:

I tried the Howard Leight Impacts and found they weren't deep enough. Since I wear hearing aids, I need a deeper ear cup or else the inside of the earmuffs press on the end of my hearing aid and really hurt.

Also, I find muffs a problem on the right side -- they hit the top of the stock and I can't get my head down to my cheek weld position.

All surmountable issues.

Hearing aid hits the cup...don't wear hearing aid and turn up the volume on the muff.
Cup hits stock...I had this issue as well and found I could alleviate it by repositioning the muff just a bit so it doesn't contact stock.

Well, someone got into my truck the other day and made off with my Caldwell E-MAX Shadows. I have a pair of Razor XV as back ups, but really liked the smaller form factor and rechargeable case of the Caldwell. So, in prep for buying something new, what are some of your opinions on ear pro? Prefer in ear over muff and want to have some sort of enhancement so I'm not that guy shouting all the time at the range. TIA!
"what are some of your opinions on ear pro?"

Can you be more specific? Thanks.

26Reload -- Thanks. I might look for some of those.
As I said earlier...these are NOT off the shelf...and NOT the Soundgear in ears..
These are from a hearing aid store...that sells them for hearing aids...we(audiologist and I) went over the benefits of having REAL hearing aids set to my hearing loss(after testing)...and reset to give me comfort and loud noise suppression....some of the most irritating of noises were high frequency..skillsaw motor not to bad..but add in the noise of cutting materials and it could make me cry...my chainsaws air intake and exhaust have been increased for more power..although it is a lower frequency the volume is incredibly loud..my aids basically make it sound like a box fan.....
Volume is adjustable on each setting...shut it down completely or hear guys talking 150 away.......
DISCLAIMER.....
THESE WERE NOT DESIGNED OR SOLD AS HEARING PROTECTION...
they are a simple designed aid set to work to my hearing loss and prevention of loud noise(s) to save what little I have remaining.....

Last edited:
This is the hearing aid...
1119201119.jpg

I like my Otto Noizebarrier electro earplugs a lot. Check these out. A lot of great features like level of protection, battery life, comfort, doesn't turn off but attenuates so you don't miss conversations, etc, etc. I researched in-ear electronic protection for several years before buying and kept coming back to the Ottos. Very, very pleased with my decision with no buyer's remorse.

I tried a set of 3M Peltor EEP-100 this year. Fairly reasonably priced. I work as a hunting guide and get plenty of guys shooting muzzlebraked rifles around (plus I own one). I don't really like wearing them, and having worn foam earplugs for years it feels very odd to have earplugs in and still be able to hear. That being said, they worked quite well. As long as there wasn't any wind, they make some foam wind blockers I will have to try, but without them they are basically useless in the wind. Also when riding a fourwheeler the fourwheeler was right at their cuttoff point and they keep cutting off and coming back on, sometimes only one ear at time if you have your head cocked, very annoying. But I could hear great with them (three settings, high makes your hunters walking behind you sound like a herd of Buffalo, low is quieter than normal, medium is supposed to be normal but is a bit better than my somewhat compromised hearing) could tell direction as good or better than I can with my normal hearing, and they deadened loud noises like gunshots effectively.

Also they are rechargeable and are supposed to last 16 hours on a charge, I've never had a problem with them going dead except the time I accidentally left one on over my two days off. Not strictly waterproof, but a very high rating of water resistance, I wore them in the rain without problems or a second thought.

I tried a set of 3M Peltor EEP-100 this year. Fairly reasonably priced. I work as a hunting guide and get plenty of guys shooting muzzlebraked rifles around (plus I own one). I don't really like wearing them, and having worn foam earplugs for years it feels very odd to have earplugs in and still be able to hear. That being said, they worked quite well. As long as there wasn't any wind, they make some foam wind blockers I will have to try, but without them they are basically useless in the wind. Also when riding a fourwheeler the fourwheeler was right at their cuttoff point and they keep cutting off and coming back on, sometimes only one ear at time if you have your head cocked, very annoying. But I could hear great with them (three settings, high makes your hunters walking behind you sound like a herd of Buffalo, low is quieter than normal, medium is supposed to be normal but is a bit better than my somewhat compromised hearing) could tell direction as good or better than I can with my normal hearing, and they deadened loud noises like gunshots effectively.

Also they are rechargeable and are supposed to last 16 hours on a charge, I've never had a problem with them going dead except the time I accidentally left one on over my two days off. Not strictly waterproof, but a very high rating of water resistance, I wore them in the rain without problems or a second thought.
Can you hear distant sounds like elk bugles or deer breaking branches? I have the Sound Gear hunting version and at first I thought they did a decent job at amplifying sounds but then I realized I could only hear close sounds like leaves or gravel crunching under foot or your hat rubbing on the jacket hood. Not the sounds I want to hear. I can not hear bugles at all with them outside 50 yards.
I just got the Pro Ears Stealth Elite that I will try on a deer hunt tomorrow but I don't think they are going to work for me. They stick out way too far, are hard to get in and won't stay in. The claimed 5x amplification on hi is more about a 20% increase to my ears, so way less than 2X.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.