Suppressor for eye problems?

jmaars

Well, I just had double detached retina eye surgery a few weeks ago, of course on my shooting eye, and was wondering should I be thinking about a suppressor. Been thinking about getting one for S@%ts and giggles anyway but now it might be a necessity?? I have a Dr appt on wednesday and Im going to ask him about shooting when I get my sight back.
A few questions, IE what kind??, Can I get a 30 cal and shoot 6.5 or 6mm ?? I know you can on a brake but dont know about a suppressor. Got a bit of time because I have an oil bubble in my eye for about 5 more months for the healing process. It really sucks. no depth perception at all. Thanks in advance for info.
Just spending my time reloading and playing around with a few new gadgets. I have an annealer on the way. Got 1000's of rounds of brass to clean up and get ready.
By the way, just scored on 8 lbs of 4350, 2 Varget, 1 Rl 16, 1 h1000, 1 IMR 4064, 1 Longshot, and 1 StaBall 6.5. I guess its coming back a bit

You can shoot anything smaller diameter through your suppressor. However, you need to make sure your suppressor can handle what you're shooting. While your .30 cal suppressor can handle a 6.5 Creedmoor it may not handle a 6.5-300 Weatherby, 7mm Rum, etc... Just do your research not all suppressor are created equal.

Suppressors are great and I use an Omega 300. I haven't had it on any thing with a large case capacity. Mainly on .300 BLK AR pistol and Ruger Ranch and in the bolt action it sounds like a springer air rifle until the bullet smacks some steel. Also a 6mm Creedmoor and .308 which sounds like a .22 lr. The Sparrow on my 10/22 is a lot of fun as well, but not as satisfying hitting steel.

As far as your eye issues, I have no clue. I'm not qualifed in the slightest to tackle that.

Brakes are way better than suppressers for recoil control. I have both. I use my . 300 RUM ti thunder beast 9 with a .22 rimfire bolt and can hear the firing pin strike and bullet impact.

Interestingly my 6.5 CM is quieter than .300 Blackout with full throttle loads.

Good luck with the recovery. As I get older I keep steering away from the larger kickers just to avoid some of those eye issues. And I hate brakes so it was a suppressor for me. Hope doc green lights you.

I have cans by Silencerco , the one that I go to the most is the Omega I have a flat end cap for 6.5 calibers and it comes with a break. I also have a Harvester that is on my secondary rifle. And because you cant just get 1 or 2, I bought a Thunder Beast Arms DSU. As for the eye, the eye doc is the one to listen 2.

Depending on how/where you hunt watch weight also. Some are light and some are pretty heavy. Most are manageable and similar in length. Lots of choices to choose from and than the fun to sit around waiting for approval, also if you can buy it through a trust.

Concussion from brakes is real, no you are not going to get one, but eye sockets are affected, I have a friend who gets serious headaches around brakes.
By all means, protect yourself and get a suppressor.

I myself really cannot stand suppressors today, and have 6-7 sitting idle in my safe.

You can shoot anything smaller diameter through your suppressor. However, you need to make sure your suppressor can handle what you're shooting. While your .30 cal suppressor can handle a 6.5 Creedmoor it may not handle a 6.5-300 Weatherby, 7mm Rum, etc... Just do your research not all suppressor are created equal.
Agreed! Suppressors have ratings on what they can handle/tested for. My Eliteiron Bravo is rated for .300 RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.