Kill the wolf?

There was a reason the Ol Timers cleared wolves out of this country. Because they weren't good for anything! Now a bunch of people that wanted them reintroduce and got it done. The most of them have never seen one in the wild or the destruction they leave behind. They should put a bounty on them! Also if your from Montana hunting in Wyoming you shouldn't have to have a tag from that state to kill them. Plus you get the bounty money!

The government does not pay for wolf or for that matter any predator killed livestock. Some well to do ranches have litigated settlements from various Wolf proponent groups. Most small to medium ranches are run on a "hobby" basis and can't afford the costs. Our three family ranches have documentation of wolf predation (37) and not a cent has been forth coming.
I am sorry if I am wrong about the government paying for
Wolf predication. I have read where a rancher near where
I live has been paid but it was after a bit of a fight . And
Wolf loving groups are certain that a wolf would never harm
a hair on someone's livestock. The wolf being such a discerning
harmless little fuzz ball.

down from the MT/ID divide road
Sounds like that buddy was on the pass heading back to Emida.....
Been there too.....first year saw elk and mule deer....and a whitetail doe and fawn in a herd of elk......at 1000 yards plus.....darn mule deer were only 200 yards.....big steep country.....

........I have read where a rancher near where I live has been paid but it was after a bit of a fight .....

Compensation was supposed to be paid, some of those promises were made by pro wolf groups. The burden of proof was very high, and it was short lived.

This wolf thing has nothing to do with biology. It's politics. The wolf lovers are playing the game way better than hunters are. We have had countless wolf meetings in Minnesota over the years and it's amazing how many wolf lovers show up, the hunters just want to hunt, the wolf lovers just want us to not hunt ANYTHING at all. They don't care if the wolves kill every head of beef you have, they don't want wolves killed period and they will do anything they can think of to achieve that goal. At least you guys out west can hunt them, we can't do anything legally. I don't begrudge a wolf a meal but we can't let them run amok over the countryside either. If everyone on this forum skipped a forum posting and wrote letters to congress people we might make some inroads. It's politics not wildlife management that is winning this battle. We need to fight the political battle.

A few days ago I did send letters on this subject to Trump, secretary of interior and all Idaho representatives though Big Game Forever group.

26reload
A little more north in the Panhandle.
But yes big steep country and I miss spending time there. I took my first bow killed Elk there back in 1990 (a real nice 5x5 w/compound) and a couple years later my first traditional bow killed elk, a real dandy 7x7 with a recurve and hand planed 650gr birtch arrow.
However, it is just not worth going to anymore since the wolves took hold.
It's just a shame that my Boys will not ever see hunting Elk like we did back then.

Well I check the facts. What I found according to the website that was posted; There is Wildlife Predator Compensation Programs which differ from state to state. These programs are funded in various ways. What is interesting I have not found one yet that is founded by tax payers monies as a Farm Subsidy is. Interesting subject still researching.

Any of the big predators that get way out of balance will cause big problems in time. Lions in many areas are out of balance imho. Not sure which is biggest problem In areas I hunt elk, mule deer and antelope in Montana, Idaho and parts of Wyoming but probly wolves are bigger problem today.

Any of the big predators that get way out of balance will cause big problems in time. Lions in many areas are out of balance imho. Not sure which is biggest problem In areas I hunt elk, mule deer and antelope in Montana, Idaho and parts of Wyoming but probly wolves are bigger problem today.
Just to follow up, I hate seeing what's been happening to so many areas in western states from heavy handed feds and judges that make a big mess of things..the bears, wolves, lions and coyotes are crazy overpopulated imho..don't need studies and impact statements. Get out there and talk with those living there every day. I visit many of those areas and moved from Idaho and Montana cuz of the wolves and big bears problems on the environment. I throw lions in that discussion too. I don't think it's getting better either. Get govmt out of it and let locals handle it. In two years it would be problem solved. Also keep the flame fanning press out of it!!!

On following FWP recommendations, my neighbor years ago was a FWP biologist who did the yearly surveys and made the recomendations. He saw his work thrown in the trash and those higher up making the decisions did so based on politics, it bothered him so bad he transfered to something else for his last 2 years to retirement.

They took our selway elk herd from mid 20k to less than 3k in short order after being introduced. I hunt way back where we never saw a wolf and game was flourishing. We saw 6 wolves in a spot of ours and didnt see a deer in the 3 days there. The canadian greys werent here in the past and should have never been brought in.

You poor mos guided soul. One should Not regulate wildlife through political feelings . But should through sound environmental impact and each state should have control of that without outside interference ! The wolves will as they always have Decimate the prey within their region. Trust me you don't want the wolves ! What happens to the wolves after they have decimated the prey?

Here is a piece of information you may not have considered and many do not know. There used to be a population of caribou in NW Montana, not enough to hunt but they existed. For the most part they are non-existent now.
The biggest lesson we need to take away from this exercise in introduction of a species is that the non-native species (in this case the Canadian grey wolf) should never be brought into an ecosystem. This really should have been learned through the damage that brown trout have had on the cutthroat trout population in our western waters.
Any of us with friends in Colorado need to ensure they are educated on the dangers of wolf introduction as a bill has made it onto the ballot with the help of some extremists who's ultimate goal is to have predators control ungulate populations so they can ban hunting.
I believe they call it GUN CONTROL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.