2014 Wolf Archery Kill

Congrats on the woof. And getting it done with the bow is outstanding. Going to attempt to do my past on the reduction, leaving for Id in 6 days. Going to spend the entire elk season in the salmon zone.

Congrats on the woof. And getting it done with the bow is outstanding. Going to attempt to do my past on the reduction, leaving for Id in 6 days. Going to spend the entire elk season in the salmon zone.

Good luck. Did a filmed hunt in that area and then my outfitter buddy went back and did an archery hunt. Saw wolf tracks but no noise. Looked like a single or pair moving through and checking out territory more than hanging there. We did call in a bunch of elk and decent ones at that.

I for one really appreciate taking a wolf with a bow. I hunt them all winter and they are hard enough to kill with a rifle. They aren't the same animal as before the hunting started. I live in Salmon, ID and there are plenty of them here.

I agree with that for sure. Like a lot of back country Idaho hunters I have had plenty of opportunities prior to 2009 to shoot wolves. In 2009 I shot my first wolf at 40 yards. In 2010 the the judge shut us down and I had 2 opportunities to shoot at 5 yards and 10 yards. In 2011 I shot a wolf at 300 yards and another 450 in 2012. Like you, I hunt wolves all winter and it has been very difficult. I see them, a lot, but closing the gap and being in the right place at the right time has been frustrating. That is why I started shooting LR rifles. Now I am addicted to it. I have built 7 rifles in the past 2 years and worked really hard to be proficient with the relm of LR hunting.

BTW- I think I found an area that has good winter wolf potential near you. We'll have to talk.

I am interested in the cartridges you use. I only have 4 but they seem to work OK. Always up for a good chat.

Personally I like the 6.5-284. I have no time on the new 6.5 SAUM though. It is not finished yet. Thinking about a 6.5 WSM for a build for a buddy. The 160 Matrix has been very accurate out of my 284 but the velocity is marginal. The SAUM and WSM make up for that. In the 140 range though I have been pleased with the 6.5-284.

Rifles I have used on predators:
22-250
7mag
300 mag

I am getting ready to build a 243. The 243 and 6.5-284 will be my field guns for predator hunting. The 243 is for the wife and kid mainly but also so I can take it varmint shooting with the 204. Don't want to do that with the 6.5.

I like the 7mm's too, just still playing with the 6.5's and their high BC to bullet weight ratio's.

Mustang, headed your direction, sort of, tomorrow. I will be in Stanley and want to head down river to Basin Creek and check on an area I have been interested in for a while.

Yes. There has been a pack in the past that ran from Basin to Squaw. Gunna check it out this weekend. The area we filmed the elk hunt has wolves too but I am not sure if the outfitter is in there right now. PM if you have a pack you wanna tag team.

I'm in idaho (boise) and have always wanted to hunt wolfs. What do you use to locate them. Electric calls, howling by mouth, just glass? Im also sick with the long range rifle outbreak! I have a few LR bolt guns that would work but I just pickup a rock river ar10 that I want to use on a pack. I'd say if I can get 600yd I could make a kill. Just not sure what to do or how to do it when it comes to hunting them. I hunt unit 18 most every year for deer/elk and have seen dogs there but this year we didn't draw so we hunted 39.... Way to many people for me!! Did talk to a few and sounds like there are a good amount of wolfs there. Any tips on how to get started? I have an electric predictor caller...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.