Kill the wolf?

chickm1

I hear all sides of this. If you listen to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the wolves are the epitome of a threat to the whole ecosystem. Western sheep and cattle ranchers will pretty much back that up. We must maintain a balance in the population, or we stand a chance to have another animal go extinct. That cannot happen. I seriously doubt the wolves in the west, will get to the problems caused by feral hogs and coyotes in Texas.

I hear all sides of this. If you listen to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the wolves are the epitome of a threat to the whole ecosystem. Western sheep and cattle ranchers will pretty much back that up. We must maintain a balance in the population, or we stand a chance to have another animal go extinct. That cannot happen. I seriously doubt the wolves in the west, will get to the problems caused by feral hogs and coyotes in Texas.
They took our selway elk herd from mid 20k to less than 3k in short order after being introduced. I hunt way back where we never saw a wolf and game was flourishing. We saw 6 wolves in a spot of ours and didnt see a deer in the 3 days there. The canadian greys werent here in the past and should have never been brought in.

They took our selway elk herd from mid 20k to less than 3k in short order after being introduced. I hunt way back where we never saw a wolf and game was flourishing. We saw 6 wolves in a spot of ours and didnt see a deer in the 3 days there. The canadian greys werent here in the past and should have never been brought in.

At 20K, it sounds like you were over-populated. Biologists in Idaho say that wolves account for less than 1% of the total predation of Idaho elk. While cougars account for the largest predation, at only 2%. Life mortality accounts for the biggest loss, as cow elk have achieved a longer life span, and it has come of age.
https://www.cdapress.com/outdoors/20181122/increasing_idahos_elk_numbers_is_predator_management_goal

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-elk-2017-2018.pdf

Once again...if you don't live in it you will not know....
Let's just say.....maybe some of the loss of elk numbers are just displacement...meaning the elk migrate out to never return...one explanation...
Another....elk are not breeding as readily because they are being harassed constantly..by man and wolves...elk numbers have fallen...areas that once held none are now abundant....
Ranchers begging the f&g to do something about all the elk in their crop lands..but still not allowing peolle to shoot to remove some...but even so...the elk know if they go back up in the mountains the wolves will be right on them again.......the elk aren't stupid.......but there are a lot of stupid people.........

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.