2014 Wolf Archery Kill

BrentM

Called a in pack yesterday and shot this big male. I had a 2nd wolf in sight but he saw me draw my bow and gave me a head shot target. I had a hard time getting the distance sorted out and by the time I did he ducked out of sight.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 162
Nice going. I'd be happy with a good rifle shot. Heck... I'd be happy if one ran in front of my car. Reducing the wolf population to a point where the rest of the ecosystem can get back in balance works for me!

Great shot man!

I shot a bull a few days before and figured I would try for wolves now. This area generally has some sort of activity during the archery season so I went to a spot that might give a good chance of calling and getting a response. Luck was on my side and I was able to call them in via howls and barks.

Brent... Were you hunting north of Boise? I've been looking at the packs in that area over the last couple of years and they appear to be pretty thick... Overlapping one a others territory. Down south here.... they've not yet moved in from the east... At least here in the Twin Falls area. We did see a wolf over at Sublett reservoir when we were deer hunting last year, but I'm hunting this year at area 54 for a controlled hunt this year. I've scouted there but have seen no sign and no wolves there (yet).

Good job on the wolf! I would love to come up your way and reduce the number by at least 1 more. My son and my x live up on Eagle road, so I'm up your way every other week. If you would be willing to point me towards some mutts, I'd be out there in a heartbeat. Bought 2 wolf tags this year and have them in my wallet so that what happened last year doesn't occur again. Easy shot...no tag.

Congrats!

Interesting. Measured the skull and wet it is 16 12/16. If it holds and SCI scores it the same it will be the #4 Archery Wolf in SCI books. It appears BC and PY don't have records or interest in the Gray Wolf. I have another I shot that I need to re-measure. Can't remember the score.

A wolf with a bow and I'd be looking for angels, cause being dead and gone to heaven would be the only explanation. With me being in heaven only slightly more likely, than getting a wolf archery style.

Baaaa haaa haaa. Well, so I measured the other skull and it is 15". That wolf is 7 ft 2" long. Crazy.

I have 4 opportunities to kill with my bow and something seemed to always go wrong. This time luck was favoring me for sure. A double kill would have been surreal. I have lost a few rifle shots. One was a solid white male and he was collard. By the time the F&G could locate him the hide was bad. So bummed.

Man, I am already going crazy wanting this rug done.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.