Kill the wolf?

In September we packed into the Thorofare. We have been going to the same area for a few years now.

We saw a few elk but less than usual.
Saw 10 grizzlies last year and lots of grizz tracks and a couple this year.

Wolves heard them every night. My buddy and I were glassing a ridge and bugled. After about 10 or 15 minutes a wolf came running into the meadow. Dead dog. We closed the hunt area but there were only 2 tags for that particular area.

Between the grizz and the wolves elk populations have gone down and or they get the hell out of the area when they move into area.
When I talked to a local rancher in Cody he said he has seen less and less elk and a lot less elk calves from year to year. He even told us to shoot all the wolves we see. Not enough tags I told him.

Yes...oregon has "gone to the dogs"...from the governor down...imports from California that couldn't win seats by lying down there because competition was already lying.....

Other predators are managed. That means hunted. maybe not always in the amount we would like. Like in Oregon where we cannot CURRENTLY hunt wolves. But hopefully in the future we can before considerably damage is done to our wildlife.

Damage to Oregon's blacktail came in a mysterious way...lungworms...with no absolute area pinpointed fo where it all started....could have been imported exotics which are allover the place now.....the same happened to coastal and cascade deer at basically the same time and took a humongous toll....and even creeped into the central Muleys.......never did understand how the elk came to not getting this and dying off....

Last edited:
I seriously doubt the wolves in the west, will get to the problems caused by feral hogs and coyotes in Texas.

I have been pondering this statement the last couple days...maybe everybody could be happy if we took all the wolves in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming and dropped them off in texas and other Southern states that are being overtaken with wild pigs and coyotes. Can't help but think 1000's of wolves could put a hurtin on some pig populations. This way we save the elk and mule deer and wolf all while taking care of the feral pig problem...

Last edited:
I have been pondering this statement the last couple days...maybe everybody could be happy if we took all the wolves in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming and dropped them off in texas and other Southern states that are being overtaken with wild pigs and coyotes. Can't help but think a 1000 wolves could put a hurtin on some pig populations. This way we save the elk and mule deer and wolf all while taking care of the feral pig problem...
Thanks for the offer but I would like to pass on it please cause someone would shoot my lads thinking they were wolves

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts