If you could only have one gun...

It's funny. In my 20's, shooting 100 rounds magnum (30 cal mag) off sand bags. was nothing. Now I try to keep it under a box. Half a box for the 375.
Actually, I use a dinim bag to which my wife sewed a 1.5" kevlar strap with an adjustable buckle snd I put 2 25 lb lead shot bags in. Put the strap around the but of the rifle to absorb the recoil. Works great. Doesn't interfere at all with your shooting position.

Thanks for the info, Brown is at the south end of Oregon and I'm in the upper north of Washington, however the wife and I were planning a trip pretty near to Ted, and others in the past have mentioned his name as well. I'll try to get face-to-face with him. 🤙 Cheers

Yes, he is just a few miles north of Kali. Funny stories, he traps unwanted critters in his backyard and drives further down south and releases them.

I've read through 4 pages, and only about 3 folks opted for anything less than .30 caliber. I took the advice of a friend and tried to simplify my loading by moving to just one caliber. I picked the 7mm because of the bullet choices and the high ballistic coefficients.

A 7mm WSM does everything but grizly just fine with less recoil. I use 168 VLD Bergers for everything. Just for fun I tried it on javelina. It worked just the same as my 7mm TCU, but at longer distance. DRT kills on elk at 340 yards.

If I were choosing today, I'd be very tempted by a 6.5. No, even if I had hair, I wouldn't wear a man bun.

If I were in grizzly country, I'd opt for a .45-70.

I've read through 4 pages, and only about 3 folks opted for anything less than .30 caliber. I took the advice of a friend and tried to simplify my loading by moving to just one caliber. I picked the 7mm because of the bullet choices and the high ballistic coefficients.

A 7mm WSM does everything but grizly just fine with less recoil. I use 168 VLD Bergers for everything. Just for fun I tried it on javelina. It worked just the same as my 7mm TCU, but at longer distance. DRT kills on elk at 340 yards.

If I were choosing today, I'd be very tempted by a 6.5. No, even if I had hair, I wouldn't wear a man bun.

If I were in grizzly country, I'd opt for a .45-70.
Do this little survey anywhere else except in the USA and the answers will be different. Me, I have been running a 6.5-284 for many years, I am now running a 6.5 PRC, going on 3 years. I have zero issue taking it anywhere. That rifle killed a bison, pretty tough animal, but is it the best..... some people like red heads or blondes or brunettes, in the end they all drive ya crazy so does it really matter.....

JP Sauer & Sohn Model 404. 1 rifle, multiple barrel options....

6.5x55
270 Win
7x64
30-06
8x57
9.3x62
7mm Rem
300WM
8x68
338WM
375 H&H
404 Jeffrey
10.3x60

If I had to pick 1 caliber, I'd personally go with the 30-06. Nosler shows load data from 110gr to 220gr projectiles, which should cover just about anything in North America. Plus, ammo availability worldwide is probably about as good as you're gonna get?

Last edited: