If you could only have 3 long guns, which would you choose?

Three long guns could mean two rifles and a shotgun. That would be pretty limited.
For two rifles one would need to choose whether or not to include dangerous game.
If so, then maybe something larger (375-416) and something smaller (270-338).

Three long guns as overlapping rifles could mean
a heavier (338-375-416)
a medium (270/6.8-300)
a light (223-6.5)

Some things, like a 270/280 and a 7mm (and maybe a 300 and a 338), would seem to be duplications in the same niche. It's all a sliding scale to be fit to a hunter's terrain.

As a hand loader and bullet caster, I could get by pretty darn well with only 2 rifles/cartridges….. if they will be used for hunting. A .223 Rem. and a (my) .375 AI.

If varmint hunting/shooting were removed from the menu…..I could survive quite nicely with only one!

If something other than hunting is in the equation…..I'd have to do a bit of study on the subject! memtb

Modifying my three slightly. Sticking with the .22LR and 12 guage shotgun. Changing my .30-06 to a switch barrel. That way I could have a wide variety of calibers and by hand loading I could duplicate dozens of calibers

17 hmr-cheap to shoot great for small varmits

6mm creed-varmits to big hogs

7PRC-small to large game including moose and big bears with good copper bullets

If including a shotgun then drop the 17hmr

I have a friend of a friend who does A LOT of shooting and ironically while he owns multiple handguns he basically only uses his Sako 7 mm Remington Mag for everything. Now he shoots gophers, coyotes, deer and elk (lucky bugger owns 3 quarters backing provincial forest in Manitoba and I'm in the next province so I can't go hunt on his land with paying an absolutely stupid license fee). But all he shoots is his 7 RM and he has to re-barrel the gun every 2nd to 3rd year at best which he does himself and he reloads so no factory ammo. But when you talk about knowing your gun and cartridge inside and out... if he can see it in the scope... it's dead!!!!

Maybe we only need 1 gun??? Nahhhh that's crazy talk!!