Hunting bullet suggestions

pills

I am loading for a Rem model 7 in 7mm SAUM. 22" barrel with 1 in 9 1/4" twist. I need suggestions on a hunting bullet for wt deer and mule deer. I just got through testing the Berger 168g VLD hunter in the suggested OAL off the lands. I did get some impressive groups at .050 off BUT these rounds are too long for the mod 7 mag. and the loads that fit the mag were not what I was looking for. I looked up the Berger classic hunter and they are .095 shorter than the VLD and the 140g VLDs are .159 shorter. any opinions on these? Or since this gun will only work with an OAL near book should I look in another direction?

If you are not shooting beyond 500 yards I would highly recommend the 140 Nosler Accubond. My Model 700 in 7mm SAUM will shoot these at 3100+ ft/sec and quite accurate. The Nosler Accubond is an excellent all around deer bullet. You do not have to load them close to the lands to get good accuracy.

+1 on the accubonds. I prefer the 160's, but that is in a 280AI. Max COL is limited by mag length, but even at 40 thou off the lands they shoot very good in my rig. Your 7SAUM should push them even faster...

They drop deer too!

The Berger classic hunter is suppose to be a lot easier to reload and was designed to fit in magazines like yours. On the other hand lots of people like the accubonds. My experience thus far ha not been as good... They are set to release the all new long range accubond soon. Last I heard next week. So if your doing longer range shooting than the 500 yards mentioned above you might look at them. I'd suggest giving the classic hunter a try. Bruce

I would try the Berger classic but not go down the the 140gr as it's too light for the velocity the SAUM would push it, personally I'll shoot a rifle as a single shot if it's shooting very well at any point.

I have used used the Hornady 139 BTSP in my model 7 saum, but think I will try the 150 Swift Sirrocco this yr as it shoots well in another 7 saum I have

I would gladly load single shot with a larger more accurate bullet for hunting. Wait, I already do:). I may be breaking the fast 7 trend but I like to hit them hard. A light bullet loaded at very high velocities is a candidate for the next " My bullet disintegrated on the shoulder of a deer" thread. Or a twig in the path.

Jeff

For my Magnum 7mm calibers the 160 Nosler Accubond is my go-to, and has been for years. And the 110gr Accubond is my go-to for my .257 Wby Mag.

However, this year I will trying Berger VLD's in my hunting calibers.

I did think about going the single shot route but it felt like a.bad idea. However now that I think about it I haven't needed more than 1 bullet in a long time. I would like to stay with a 160-168 high bc bullet as I may have an elk tag too. Max range will be about 550yds. I will try the accubonds and Berger classics to see if I can get good groups out of a mag length round. If not I will go single shot. I will try different powder too. I have been using IMR 4350 but may try.IMR 7828 too

Pills,

I have had very good luck with the heavier bullets using IMR-7828 in my 7mm SAUM. The 168 Berger load at 59.0 grains of IMR-7828 was just for accuracy at targets and not my hunting load. My velocity for that load was around 2750 ft/sec.. However the 160 TSX load is a good hunting load that I loaded to take elk hunting a few years ago-no elk but the load is good. I am able to get 2950 ft/sec with this bullet, using IMR-7828, RP cases, WLRM primers. The 2.270 listed as COL is measured off the ogive, the actual over all length of the loaded round is 2.86.

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 55
  • MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 57
I did think about going the single shot route but it felt like a.bad idea. However now that I think about it I haven't needed more than 1 bullet in a long time. I would like to stay with a 160-168 high bc bullet as I may have an elk tag too. Max range will be about 550yds. I will try the accubonds and Berger classics to see if I can get good groups out of a mag length round. If not I will go single shot. I will try different powder too. I have been using IMR 4350 but may try.IMR 7828 too
I shoot single-shot at the range, but my hunting loads are set to magazine-length in my A-Bolt II, so I can have more in the chamber while hunting. They work great for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.