25 Creed Brass and Bullet Suggestions

BoomFlop

My teenage son is building his first custom rifle. The selection of quality LH rifles has lead us to this decision. This will be a hunting rifle as well as a target rifle. We wanted a cartridge that had "long range" performance with minimal recoil.

We are trying to do it on a slight budget, here is the list sent to the gunsmith:

Big Horn Origin SA .308 BF LH (25 Creedmoor)
Rock Creek Carbon Sendero, Cut Rifle, 5R, 7 TW
AG Composite Adj Armor LH
Hawkins Hunter DBM M5
Accurate Mags
Trigger Tech Primary LH
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50/56 in NF Rings

We plan on getting 6.5 Creedmoor Redding Type S dies with micrometer seater. From my understanding that is all we need with 25 cal bushings?

Should we buy Peterson SRP, Peterson LRP or Lapua 6 Creed brass? I would prefer proper headstamp brass, however, I have only ever loaded Lapua brass. I do not want to turn necks.

Also, would you suggest the 133 Berger or the 135 Berger? Plan is to start with H4350 or RL26.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Keep an eye out for alpha 25 cm head stamped brass. I used that and it was great brass. Either one of those bergers would be great. I was shooting the 131 ace with 41.9 gr of h4350 so maybe start around 39 and work up.

I think I was using a .283 bushing with a Redding bushing die.

The gun was a laser. I ended up selling it to a guy on here and he was getting one hole groups still no problem.

I use lapua 6cm SRP. Necking down 6.5 was a little too thick of brass for my reamer spec. Small primer brass is key. Berger 135 gr and h4350 has been great. Did not try RL26 but some guys are getting 100fps or better improvement from h4350. It's gets over 100f in the summer here so I didn't try it.

No need to chase speed there is plenty of velocity retained at distance with the high BC. I killed a mule deer at 690 yards this year with the 135s and my MV is "only" 2830fps.

Necks were too thick for my reamer (supposed to be .288 more like 286-287). Some of the reamers are .290 ish might want to check first.

@willfrye027 the Peterson had too thick of necks for your reamer?
Yes. I had almost no neck clearance. Basically no change in size from a fired piece and a loaded piece and I was getting early pressure. I think my neck is not truly .288 like it's supposed to be. I would want to know the reamer that was used, before deciding on brass. I neck turned them but that was not fun and I'd rather just neck up the lapua 6cm brass which gives me just enough clearance.

Any issues with SRP in cold weather? I'm from Wisconsin. It can be -20 or 70 here. Mainly around 15-40 during deer season anyway.