.308 mediuam range target/hunting bullet suggestion

bbaley

Hi all,
I'll try to make this as un-vague (least convoluted) as possible !

I have a new .308 build coming, that I will describe as multipurpose. Meaning I intend to;
1. shoot medium range accurately with precision (<1000 yds)
2. hunt medium sized game (deer, antelope, possibly Elk closer)
3. develop and load a single "all-purpose" round for MY gun that suits #1 and #2 as best as possible.

For reference, the rifle is a custom build, 26" 1:11 twist

Based on what I have researched so far, I have the following possibilities which I would appreciate input on:

1. Berger 175 and 185 VLD Hunting. reported to be very intolerant of "jump" and also sometimes not as effective a kill. awesome performance BC/LR. reported difficult to load for
2. Sierra 180 GameKing. reported horrible performance LR but decent hunting. easy to load for
3. Nosler 180 Accubond. good BC, awesome reported hunting performance. reported easy to load for

These choices are based on;
1. calculated/estimated <miller> stability of "close to 1.7" {not too high, not too low)
2. BC, weight, retained energy and wind effect
3. AVAILABILITY

Note #3, I am willing to adjust some performance for availability. In trying to come up with "one load" this is key.

Ok, now the "why"...
1. I picked 170-185 grain for BC, retained energy and wind (LR+hunting)
2. It HAS to support many rounds of best-price/performance loading and shooting (that's why I picked a .308, not hot loads, salt-nitrided, blah blah blah)
3. the .308 170-185gr support a lot of powders for accurate loads (availability)

Equipment: Lee classic cast single stage with L-nL conversion, Redding Competition seating die, Redding neck/FL die, Hornady Comparator, Hornady OAL gauge/headspace kit/modified cases.

Anyway, I sure appreciate your putting up with my rambling to this point....
I DID GOOGLE I swear ;-) I could not find anything about developing a single hunting/LR(Medium range) round for .308...

Cheers! (apologies in advance for stupidity or lack of understanding)

I re-read my post and figured I ought to ask the "main questions"!
<sheesh>

1. Are the Berger VLDs really that hard to develop a load for ?
2. Are there other options that I am missing that meet the criteria ?

again,
thanks !

My 308 is a 26", 1in 12. I get excellent results with the Berger 185 juggernaut. It is not as sensitive to jump as the vld. My rifle wont shoot the vlds accurately. With the juggernaut it will hold near 1/2 moa 5 shot groups to a 1000 yards. I have only killed one deer with this load and the bullet preformed perfect. I have shot many coyotes with it out to 700 yards. Not the gun to use if you want the hide!:D

My 308 is a 26", 1in 12. I get excellent results with the Berger 185 juggernaut. It is not as sensitive to jump as the vld. My rifle wont shoot the vlds accurately. With the juggernaut it will hold near 1/2 moa 5 shot groups to a 1000 yards. I have only killed one deer with this load and the bullet preformed perfect. I have shot many coyotes with it out to 700 yards. Not the gun to use if you want the hide!:D

Interesting I had not heard any hunting related success with the Juggernaut!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.