Hornady precision hunter 6.5 creedmoor

derma:

"I have a Remington model 700 action rifle chambered in a 222 Remington. My question is, can I change the barrel and convert it to a 6.5 SAUM? Not an experienced long range shooter here but I'm trying to get some range improvements for up to 500 yards for whitetail deer hunting. Looking to go hunt some elk as well. Please advise."

Aside from it being the wrong bolt face, as someone has already said, the .222 is moderately sought after. Not exactly a rare treat, but you might be able to get what you paid for it if its in good condition. To have someone change the bolt face and re-barrel would cost as much or more than what it would cost to buy an inexpensive rifle new in 6.5 CM. PM me.
It is in excellent condition and I will load a photo of it when I get back home. Thank you for the advise.

I bought my first 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a Tikka T3X Superlite. I'm still waiting to get it from my gunsmith and I haven't even shot it yet.

Anyway, I have been trying to figure out what kind of ammo to buy to try out in it. Buds Guns had Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 gr ELD-X for only 26 bucks. I bought quite a bit of it because it was a great price.

I know I should have asked first but have any of you guys had luck with this ammo? I don't reload and I just want a good hunting round that will shoot decent groups also. My Tikka is a 1-8 twist.

Thanks for any input!
Bryan
If you want precision you can't beat black hills ammo ! Their factory is the most accurate that I've tried and I'm sure you'll be satisified !

I bought my first 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a Tikka T3X Superlite. I'm still waiting to get it from my gunsmith and I haven't even shot it yet.

Anyway, I have been trying to figure out what kind of ammo to buy to try out in it. Buds Guns had Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 gr ELD-X for only 26 bucks. I bought quite a bit of it because it was a great price.

I know I should have asked first but have any of you guys had luck with this ammo? I don't reload and I just want a good hunting round that will shoot decent groups also. My Tikka is a 1-8 twist.

Thanks for any input!
Bryan
Its good ammo. Just make sure you shoot behind the shoulder. Bullets soft in the front and will explode at high velocity on bone.
I hand load them for my buddy and myself for the 6.5 creed. Close range out to 200 you'll normally find it will blow all its energy in the body cavity and about 30% of the bullet will be left together stuck in the hide on the exit.
Range after that out to 600 it will open up and punch all the way through.
Over 600, you got to watchout for the speed drop. It gets under 1600 fps it will start to pin hole and the bullet won't open up as much.
It has the Amax jacket so you can get more animals to drop in their tracks out further due to the higher BC it has higher velocity at longer ranges.

Their manufactured ammo for the eldx is pretty consistent on sd compared to others. Just ran 6.5 300 wetherby factory across the magneto for a friend had 20-50 fps deviation.

Thanks for any input!
Bryan
No need in trying anything else IMO. Best factory load for the 6.5 out there!

Thanks for any input!
Bryan
You can't go wrong! Myself and four buddies all shot 3/4, 1/2 and 1/3 moa at with them! Bought them to sight in and for the brass... almost no point to reload with these results....but I am

IMG_20180906_190227.jpg First three shots lower coming up site in new scope out of the box,new gun out of the box 143 gr. Hornady....7 bullets in the right, deliberate 3 shots left...that's a 2 inch bull

Just my .02$

between two rifles (a tikka T3 SSSL 300WM and a Kimber Mountain Ascent 6.5 Creedmoor), my wife, kids and I have taken eight deer and 1 elk in the past two years with the factory ELDX. 150-415 yards. The bullets performed as advertised, although my only complaint is that at closer ranges and higher velocities, the bullets fragment a lot. Keep it in the boiler room, and its not a problem... but if you get a shoulder or neck, you will lose some meat.

The kimber is light enough that it doesnt like to hold groups beyond 2 shots, but the first round on a cold barrel is always right on the money. The tikka gets me 1moa consistently with 3 shot groups.

Colorado Luckydog - I had a Tikka T3X CTR 20" heavy barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and it seemed to like any ammo I feed it. This was acquired as a target setup and it produced sub-MOA @ 100 & 200 yards with all of the following ammo types. I never got the chance to stretch the range out to 600 yards as planned. I picked up a box of the American Gunner for sight-in work but was rather impressed as to how it performed alongside all the others.

ELD® Match ELD 120 grain 2,910 Hornady
Gold Metal Berger OTM 130 grain 2,875 Federal Premium
American Gunner HPBT 140 grain 2,690 Hornady
ELD® Match ELD 147 grain 2,695 Hornady

As others have already stated your barrel may produce different results.

I actually traded that Tikka on a Bergara B14 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor as I prefer wood to black synthetic stocks and felt it was a better fit for me in hunting requirements. I have questioned my actions from time to time and I have yet to make it to my outdoor range and run B14 through its paces to see if it performs as well as the Tikka.

I added the following ammo to the mix as this is what I would probably use as a hunting round, but fully expect similar sub-MOA results with the Bergara barrel . . . Time will tell.

Precision Hunter ELD-X 143 grain 2,700 Hornady

I fully expect your Tikka & Hornady ELD ammo to work very well together.

I have the same T3x Superlite in 6.5 CM and it shoots the precision hunter ammo 143 eldx less than 0.5 MOA suppressed. Groups are a little larger unsurpressed. Mile High shooting in Erie sells it for $25 per box.

Thanks for any input!
Bryan
My hunting brother has a Browning Hells Canyon 6.5CM, 8T, and he shot 10 deer this year with it. All from stands in Georgia and Louisiana 100 to 200 yds. All were 1 shot kills dropped in their tracks ( neck & hi shoulder shots) with Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 gr ELD-X. It shoot that round 0.5 to 0.8 MOA at 100 yds 3 shot group. The lil pencil fluted barrel gets hot after 3 rounds. The round works great. We have no info past 235 yds. PS: I did chrono the ammo when we broke in the barrel and the 2 boxes he had produced a 18 FPS spread over 20 shots. That blew my mind ( being a hand loader) . That's the best consistency i've seen with Hornady ammo!

Delarma, is your action a normal short 700 or really short one like they used to have with the 722. If long enough, go with the 260 Rem. great cartridge , was used a few years ago to win the NRA National Matches, at Camp Perry. Will need the bolt face opened up, or a new bolt, but that can be done. BTW the score in that Natl Match was possible 2400 points, and she shot 2396 and a 168Xs so plenty accurate. Craig Boddington's daughter has used the 260 a lot too. If, however, I was going to change it out from a 222 and action long enough would go with the 308 as more cartridge all the way around.

I'm shooting a custom Blaser R93 barrel & a Proof rifle both in the 6.5 Creed with these cartridges.

I'm getting .25 groups with the Proof rifle and Hornaday 143 ELDX factory ammo when I do my part.

The Blaser shoots under .5 all day long.

I have killed pronghorn, northern ant TX whitetail deer, coues deer, mule deer, tahr, chamois & varmints with these bullets. I've not had to use a second shot except for paying an insurance shot at last light on a TX deer that was dying, but moving his head a bit. Game taken from 125 to 495 yards. My wife took her couse deer at 555 with it in Mexico.

I've also used it on the range. Flat range from benches to 1060 yards and on the field course to 1275. Tried the 1 mile target, but the Creed is a bit anemic out that far! Got close though.

I have been able to get some slightly more accurate handholds using these bullets, but the difference really doesn't justify the time and effort needed to reload.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts