.200g Hornady ELD-X precision hunter ammo

I have been using the 210 Berger in my 300 WM, but had to try the 200 ELD-X when it came out. I was never able to get it to shoot in my rifle.

I have been using the 210 Berger in my 300 WM, but had to try the 200 ELD-X when it came out. I was never able to get it to shoot in my rifle.

My fathers 300 wm had to use the 178 gr.
Did you try the 212? Maybe if the 210 Berger was working for you the 212 ELDx would work for you also.

I've taken two moose and one cow elk with the 212 eldx and they worked great. Should perform similar to the 200?

On another note: years ago my dad shot an elk at 400 through both lungs with a 300wby, not sure what bullet but it left a big exit on the far side and i guess that elk ran over half a mile. Had a hard time finding it. Sometimes **** just happens too.

I use the 200 ELDX in my 300 WSM. I had great results on a 5x5 New Mexico Bull last year. He didn't know what hit him. It's like he was hit by a bolt of lightning. Back legs dropped, head snapped back and was dead before he hit the ground

I have been using ELD match for hunting based on the results of the work done by Nathan Foster. I have shot Kudu at 325 yrds and sable at 150 yrds. Kudu only went 40 yrds and the sable about 10 yrds. Nathan has a unique approach on bullet performance for drop them in their tracks quick kills, it works!
I do too, hit the spine.

Tough old bull, some just refuse to die. It cetainly seems the bullet did it's job.

I wish ever so muich though they had bonded the bullet so as to guarantee an exit virtually every time.

Did you recover the bullet? What was it's condition?
Yes I love that bullet but the jacket has separated on me too. I've been looking into the hammers.

Yes I love that bullet but the jacket has separated on me too. I've been looking into the hammers.
For convetntional bullets I'm a big fan of the Hornady Interbond and Nosler Accubond/Accubond LR.

Sometimes, particularl on this site we get a little bit stupid chasing the latest, greatest, newest, Highest BC bullet possible.

In reality you won't notice enough POI difference inside of 1000yds between the .490 and .600 G1 BC's to be outside of the Rifle/Shooter's capability to start with.

If you're trying to hit a 12" pie plate at1250-1800yds, it makes a huge difference but everyone ought to ask themselves what the odds are they'll ever take a shot at game at ELR distances and if the answer is "No" quit worrying so much and chasing the latest, greatest.. .

As for Hammers those that shoot them seem to be pretty happy with them. Personally as long as I can keep getting them the Peregrine will remain my bullet of choice.

I'm admittedly a terminal performance freak and that means I want my bullet to be 100% repeatble expansion wise throught the range of velocities I'm likely to shoot at.

Other than the Hornady Interbond and Peregrines nothing has come close.

Using the same bullets, same game from point blank to over 800yds I get 1.5-2x expansion and 85-95% retained weight.

That gives me about a golfball sized exit on everything from coyotes to huge boars pretty much no matter what I do.

I don't like wasted meat and huge gaping holes in game kinda nauseate me, it's just not necessary to blow something up to kill it.

Just use a good HUNTING bullet and put it where it belongs.

Well WildRose that Peregrine looks real nice too! I'm gonna have to get some of those and load them up. Have you tried their factory cartridges? If so how do the shoot? Velocity, grouping ext. Thanks Jim

Well WildRose that Peregrine looks real nice too! I'm gonna have to get some of those and load them up. Have you tried their factory cartridges? If so how do the shoot? Velocity, grouping ext. Thanks Jim
They just got started with the factory ammo in the US and I haven't tried any.

I know the original owner and his new partner here in the US though and I wouldn't hesitate to try their factory ammo if I needed any. Alliwyn in particular is obsessive in the extreme about perfection.

To the latter, so much so, that for three years every time I got a new box of the latest prototype it was slightly different from the last.

I still send him the data on every bulelt recovered and what I'm seeing from lot to lot on accuracy etc and he simply won't stop trying to come up with better bullet about twice a week.

I don't know how he does it.

What caliber are you shooting?

For convetntional bullets I'm a big fan of the Hornady Interbond and Nosler Accubond/Accubond LR.

Sometimes, particularl on this site we get a little bit stupid chasing the latest, greatest, newest, Highest BC bullet possible.

In reality you won't notice enough POI difference inside of 1000yds between the .490 and .600 G1 BC's to be outside of the Rifle/Shooter's capability to start with.

If you're trying to hit a 12" pie plate at1250-1800yds, it makes a huge difference but everyone ought to ask themselves what the odds are they'll ever take a shot at game at ELR distances and if the answer is "No" quit worrying so much and chasing the latest, greatest.. .

As for Hammers those that shoot them seem to be pretty happy with them. Personally as long as I can keep getting them the Peregrine will remain my bullet of choice.

I'm admittedly a terminal performance freak and that means I want my bullet to be 100% repeatble expansion wise throught the range of velocities I'm likely to shoot at.

Other than the Hornady Interbond and Peregrines nothing has come close.

Using the same bullets, same game from point blank to over 800yds I get 1.5-2x expansion and 85-95% retained weight.

That gives me about a golfball sized exit on everything from coyotes to huge boars pretty much no matter what I do.

I don't like wasted meat and huge gaping holes in game kinda nauseate me, it's just not necessary to blow something up to kill it.

Just use a good HUNTING bullet and put it where it belongs.
Very WISE words above. About 900 yards is about as far as I get a chance to shoot where I hunt. Most long range shots are more like 600. This year I ditched the 20min rail just because the rifle just points better and has a better cheek weld in the positions I normally shoot. Its above my pay grade to have the slightest idea why, but in my experience the heaviest, well shaped bullet that will break 3000fps in in any rifle seems to perform best on game. Many folks might disagree, but this is what I have experienced. No earthly idea why there is magic in this number. I have also found that when launched this fast or faster, bonded or partitioned, or monolithic bullets kill as quickly as anything money can buy without excess meat loss most of the time. I have also found that unbonded cup and core bullets that are explosive at close range carry this trait further out than you think they should. I've always believed this is because although velocity slows rather quickly, the rotational velocity does not. I make no claim to be a ballistics expert by any means, and only have theory and experience to go by, but I have seen hundreds die and cleaned even more during the last 60 years. For some stupid reason I constantly change calibers and bullets. Guess it is just the fun of experimenting all the time. Starting to get old and need to just settle down with what works and quit building guns. Its a disease

My fathers 300 wm had to use the 178 gr.
Did you try the 212? Maybe if the 210 Berger was working for you the 212 ELDx would work for you also.

I tried the 178, but it didn't work either. Maybe I'll look at the 212. I did have good luck with the Nosler Accubond LR. I think it was a 210 gr.

Very WISE words above. About 900 yards is about as far as I get a chance to shoot where I hunt. Most long range shots are more like 600. This year I ditched the 20min rail just because the rifle just points better and has a better cheek weld in the positions I normally shoot. Its above my pay grade to have the slightest idea why, but in my experience the heaviest, well shaped bullet that will break 3000fps in in any rifle seems to perform best on game. Many folks might disagree, but this is what I have experienced. No earthly idea why there is magic in this number. I have also found that when launched this fast or faster, bonded or partitioned, or monolithic bullets kill as quickly as anything money can buy without excess meat loss most of the time. I have also found that unbonded cup and core bullets that are explosive at close range carry this trait further out than you think they should. I've always believed this is because although velocity slows rather quickly, the rotational velocity does not. I make no claim to be a ballistics expert by any means, and only have theory and experience to go by, but I have seen hundreds die and cleaned even more during the last 60 years. For some stupid reason I constantly change calibers and bullets. Guess it is just the fun of experimenting all the time. Starting to get old and need to just settle down with what works and quit building guns. Its a disease
I'm nearly as bad with bullets as I am Trucks and I havent' driven anything but a Ford or Toyota since 1974.

o_O

Nice bull real nice. I shoot the 300 whby and load berger 185 classic Hunter closer than 200 yards on white tail and no blood trail and animal runs off found later of course. I fell the jacket is to thin for the speed and power. Have changed to a decent bullet this year and will evaluate the performance. Keep looking for that bullet that fits all the bill