Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor

JPRITT

Does anybody have any dirt on the new Hornady 6.5 creedmoor round. Looks impressive on hornadys web site. Its supposed to have a smaller case than the 260 but be around the 3000fps mark. as far as I know only DPMS is chambering it. If anyone has any additional info i'd like to hear it. thanks!

the velocities given for it are out of a 27 or 28 inch barrel, .260 would be a better option IMHO

Creedmore

There is some discussion on 6mmbr.com. Creedmore has more capacity than 6.5x47L, but less than .260. Case design of 6.5x47L and Creedmore are more condusive to accuracy and longer barrel life vs. .260

No free lunch, more capacity, longer barrel and higher pressure yeilds higher velocity. I think Hornady used long barrel and high pressure to attain results.

I think the design was primarily for semi-auto match rifles, or tube guns with long barrels and match sights. For what it's designed to do - it's nice. Unless a person just wants something different, I'd personally opt for a 6.5-284 6.5x55, or standard .260 if I were considering a 6.5 bolt piece for LR applications.

To get those velocities they use a powder with higher amounts of nitro that makes it unavailable for the general public.

thanks fellas,

For some reason I have a 6.5 bug eating at me. 6.5x284 seemed to be the ticket but then I learned of the short barrel life and the 260 seems to be lacking in the velocity dept. so I was hoping the 6.5 Creedmoor would be promising. oh well back to the drawing board.

6.5 creedmoor group
robtacgroupx350.jpg

260 AI ??? I like it!

Ok so someone school me here. If the 260AI is supposed to produce simular ballistics than whey would it be easier on barrels then the legendary 6.5 284?

How fast do you want to do?

If you do any snooping on 6mmBR or other forums, you will quickly find these cartridges being discussed from a competition perspective.

All have their place. Just depends on what you are trying to do.

AS for performance, at the same operating pressures and effective barrel lengths, the 6.5X47L/Creedmore are slower then the 260R which is slower then the 6.5 Mystic/260AI/6.5 Swede which are slower then the 6.5 Swede AI/ X57 which are slower then the 6.5-284/'06's.

There is simply no replacement for displacement. All of these can be made to shoot equally well !!!

Remember that if you can't duplicate some fancy powder technology or must use a vault strong action, that is not desireable performance to me.

The 6.5 X47L is gaining in popularity due in large part to the super strong Lapua brass. Unfortunately, you better have a nice tight strong action and smooth barrel or you will not be able to get the velocities levels some quote. This is not an ideal hunting set up in my opinion.

I prefer to run a larger case at lower pressures in a hunting rig. Far more reliable when things get wet and/or dirty.

For a range rocket with rules, mag restrictions, time constraints, whatever, sure. Each has been designed to meet a performance goal.

Jerry

Last edited:
Well said Mystic, just like building race engines-cubic inches=horsepower. Sure, you can make a small one outperform a big one by taking it past the reliable limits but something is going to give sooner or later.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.