Hornady precision hunter 6.5 creedmoor

Colorado Luckydog

I bought my first 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a Tikka T3X Superlite. I'm still waiting to get it from my gunsmith and I haven't even shot it yet.

Anyway, I have been trying to figure out what kind of ammo to buy to try out in it. Buds Guns had Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 gr ELD-X for only 26 bucks. I bought quite a bit of it because it was a great price.

I know I should have asked first but have any of you guys had luck with this ammo? I don't reload and I just want a good hunting round that will shoot decent groups also. My Tikka is a 1-8 twist.

Thanks for any input!
Bryan

In short, your rifle will tell you what it likes to shoot. Your best bet is to grab several boxes of different ammo you'd like to try and see what your rifle shoots best. That's a nice rifle though, so you should find several that will shoot MOA but the real fun (to me at least) is finding a couple different brands (or reloads) that will get you closer to half-MOA.

I killed a nice buck with that ammo two years ago. Shot was only 80 yards broadside behind the shoulder and it did not exit. The buck was DRT but I was a little concerned with the lack of penetration. On the flip side you can't really complain about DRT.

I've got a Tikka CTR 6.5 and it loves the ELDX 143. Of all the factory ammo it shoots the best. I've shot 2 antelope and 2 whitetails with it and it has been great.

I had the same exact rifle, of coarse all rifles are different but I did have good luck with the Hornady Precision Hunter 143 eldx shot right at that .5 mark, I had better luck with the 140 Bergers in reloads, as far as Factory ammo I would take a look at the Federal Premium shooting the 130gr Berger Hybrid mine ate that up shooting in the .3s

I bought my first 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a Tikka T3X Superlite. I'm still waiting to get it from my gunsmith and I haven't even shot it yet.

Anyway, I have been trying to figure out what kind of ammo to buy to try out in it. Buds Guns had Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 gr ELD-X for only 26 bucks. I bought quite a bit of it because it was a great price.
Bryan

$26/box sounds very good. My buddy just bought several boxes from Dicks for $40/box. It's hard to find around here for any price. Not much on-line either.

$26/box sounds very good. My buddy just bought several boxes from Dicks for $40/box. It's hard to find around here for any price. Not much on-line either.
Not $26 but a couple in stock options if you were seriously looking:
https://www.brownells.com/ammunitio...mo-6-5mm-creedmoor-143gr-eld-x-prod82563.aspx Free shipping over $49 with code "M7R" today

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...nition-65-creedmoor-143-grain-eld-x-box-of-20 Free shipping over $49

It shoots 1/2 moa at 100 yds from a factory savage fcpsr. I would definitely recommend it. In the Creedmoor I've also had good luck reloading the 143 with reloader 26 48.5 gr, Hornady brass 2.800", fed 210 match, velocity 2984, 24" barrel. Hope this helps and good luck with the tikka. I have a t3 and in a 308 and love it

No personal experience, but I've read plenty of posts on here touting the precision hunter ammo's accuracy in 6.5 Creed.

I guess time will tell if you're experience matches other members'.

I have a Remington model 700 action rifle chambered in a 222 Remington. My question is, can I change the barrel and convert it to a 6.5 SAUM? Not an experienced long range shooter here but I'm trying to get some range improvements for up to 500 yards for whitetail deer hunting. Looking to go hunt some elk as well. Please advise.

My ruger predator loved it. My 6.5PRC does not like precision hunter at all.

I would bet your tikka will shoot it well. If it doesn't, it just happens that way sometimes and it's wuality ammo so you'll get your money back selling it

Thanks for all the input. I'm looking forward to getting my rifle and heading to the range. I'll let you guys know how it shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.