Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr (300 WM)

Overkill338

How does these ELD-X bullets perform? I always liked the 200 grain bullets when I was handloading, but for awhile it will be factory ammo. I've definitely got to get back into loading my own.

Mine didn't like em one bit..... Fed trophy coppers have been about the most accurate factory ammo I've found in most of my guns

I'd take a hard look at Berger loaded ammo. The 215 Berger is a very proven performer and the factory loaded ammo is pretty ---- good.

See, I was just starting to load Bergers when I sold everything off. Now they have loaded ammo.

For factory ammo the precision hunter is hard to beat IMO. My CA 300 WM shot the 200 gr ELD-X great (sub-3/4 MOA out to 900). I've read some issues with other calibers in the Precision Hunter line (high ES/SD), but that hasn't been my experience with the 200 gr ELD-X loads. I've since developed a better load with a 215 Bergers, but if I was shooting factory in 300 WM Hornady PH would be my first stop.

For factory ammo the precision hunter is hard to beat IMO. My CA 300 WM shot the 200 gr ELD-X great (sub-3/4 MOA out to 900). I've read some issues with other calibers in the Precision Hunter line (high ES/SD), but that hasn't been my experience with the 200 gr ELD-X loads. I've since developed a better load with a 215 Bergers, but if I was shooting factory in 300 WM Hornady PH would be my first stop.

This is the reason I came back to this forum. You get good information, and none of the BS some other forums are full of.
Thank you guys

Working with a new 300 wm rifle. initial shots with factory ammo. 200 eldx 2- ten shot groups. Both similar, 5 touching the other 5 within 2 inches at 100 yds. Either cartridge or my technique. Need to test further.

I'm going to order some Berger 185 Hunter, and the Hornady PH. We've got a black bear on video that's been ransacking fruit trees and honey bees. He is in the 400 lb range. I believe I may go bear hunting this year.

How does these ELD-X bullets perform? I always liked the 200 grain bullets when I was handloading, but for awhile it will be factory ammo. I've definitely got to get back into loading my own.

Asking people how ammo was in their gun is entirely subjective and I assure you, the only way to find what works for you is to try it.

You could try Prime Ammo with 130gr Bergers. I tried the 143gr ELD-X's from the start with my 6.5CM and it seemed to not like them at all.......2 1/2" groups at 100. However, after about 50 rounds down the pipe.......she's starting to come around. I think the barrel just needed more fouling to fall into a groove. Now it's just about one hole at 100. Next test 600 yards.

I've shot some of them in 3 different 300 wm's. They shot fair to excellent.

The bullets however do separate if they impact at high velocity so work that into your shot placement equation.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.