Hornady precision hunter 6.5 creedmoor

I bought my first 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a Tikka T3X Superlite. I'm still waiting to get it from my gunsmith and I haven't even shot it yet.

Anyway, I have been trying to figure out what kind of ammo to buy to try out in it. Buds Guns had Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 gr ELD-X for only 26 bucks. I bought quite a bit of it because it was a great price.

I know I should have asked first but have any of you guys had luck with this ammo? I don't reload and I just want a good hunting round that will shoot decent groups also. My Tikka is a 1-8 twist.

Thanks for any input!
Bryan
I just bought the same rifle but it's the light model. I believe the same gun but yours has a flutted barrel. Anyways I have found that the factory HSM 130 gr. Sierra Tipping Point (Gamechanger) ammo shoots very well for factory ammo. 4 shot groups are less than 1/2 inch. You may want to give them a try. Top 4 shot group is HSM ammo bottom 4 shot group is with 140 gr. Federal Fusions.
20190312_165506.jpg

I don't have the super lite. But I do have the t3x lite. Shoots the 143 eldx <.5moa 3 shot groups. Has also performed very well on game. Took a coyote at 380 yards just last week. Have not tried other factory ammo yet, but plan to

I bought my first 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a Tikka T3X Superlite. I'm still waiting to get it from my gunsmith and I haven't even shot it yet.

Anyway, I have been trying to figure out what kind of ammo to buy to try out in it. Buds Guns had Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 gr ELD-X for only 26 bucks. I bought quite a bit of it because it was a great price.

I know I should have asked first but have any of you guys had luck with this ammo? I don't reload and I just want a good hunting round that will shoot decent groups also. My Tikka is a 1-8 twist.

Thanks for any input!
Bryan
Shot great in my Seekins Precision!!!

It shoots so well in my hunting rifle in 6.5 creedmoor, it's the only ammo I shoot anymore. Below is my most recent group at 100 off bipod/rear bag on bench. I did just purchase a competition rifle, and will try two new Berger
match a
mmo and two Hornady match ammo.
upload_2019-3-13_9-14-14.png

Two mature mule deer taken with that round. 75 yds and 250. Bang flop.
I would use that round with confidence. We did see most rifles shot .5 moa vs 1/4-1/3 moa from the 140eld. Weight sort the loaded bullets into two groups high weight and low weight and I bet they both fall into that.3 moa group. Empty brass has averaged a 4gr extreme spread in my samples. They did seem to cluster much closer in two weight nodes within that 4gr es.

derma:

"I have a Remington model 700 action rifle chambered in a 222 Remington. My question is, can I change the barrel and convert it to a 6.5 SAUM? Not an experienced long range shooter here but I'm trying to get some range improvements for up to 500 yards for whitetail deer hunting. Looking to go hunt some elk as well. Please advise."

Aside from it being the wrong bolt face, as someone has already said, the .222 is moderately sought after. Not exactly a rare treat, but you might be able to get what you paid for it if its in good condition. To have someone change the bolt face and re-barrel would cost as much or more than what it would cost to buy an inexpensive rifle new in 6.5 CM. PM me.

I have a Remington model 700 action rifle chambered in a 222 Remington. My question is, can I change the barrel and convert it to a 6.5 SAUM? Not an experienced long range shooter here but I'm trying to get some range improvements for up to 500 yards for whitetail deer hunting. Looking to go hunt some elk as well. Please advise.
Save your 222 and go to Cabella's, get you a savage model 12 FV 6.5 for $319 it's worth your money . Texas stores have em.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts