Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor

But how hot?

They are listed as using H4350. I saw that too. But at what operating pressures? I really doubt that it is at 52,000psi - SAAMI limits for the 260R.

Then there is the matter of ACCURATE velocity. Some barrels like going fast, some slow. That is usually linked to pressures. If you have a 'slow' barrel and try to run a small case at high pressures, you will not like the results. If you run a larger case at moderate pressures, suddenly that barrel works just fine.

In my years of wildcatting, I have never met an accurate barrel that didn't work well at moderate pressures. However, I have met many that didn't like running at super high pressures.

Big reason the PPC is such a finicky cartridge. The rifles are riding on a razors edge trying to balance max pressures/velocity and accuracy. A change in ambient conditions and they need to tune or change their loads.

Set up a cartridge like that in F class or LR hunting and you are going to get burnt.

For a time, the 6BR was touted to push 107gr MK's at 3000fps without any pressures signs. Today, most quote this load, even at BR pressures, around 2850fps. Be interesting to know how hot those old 6BR loads really were?

Cartridges like the Creemore and Lapua are designed to meet a particular sport, NOT to revolutionize internal ballistics. The fact that some shooters are going to take them way over limit and maintain good results, doesn't change the boundaries of pressures and physics.

There is no free lunch...

Jerry

I dont know much about the 6.5x47 but the Creedmoor case is such that the long 6.5 bullets do not seat beyond the base of the case neck. I did a lot of research and chose the Creedmoor becasue I wanted it, not because it is necessarily "better" than the 6.5x47 or 260. They are all so similar overall that 1 article stated that it would be foolish to trade one for the other and expect a marked improvement. Also, powder capacity is not everything. Take a look at 300Win Mag vs. 300WSM. Some cartridges are more efficient.

Efficiency can be altered by different powders as well as bullet weight. COAL can be optimized with a throating reamer.
In my 6.5 I opted for the X.257Roberts case in Ackley form. Close behind the .284 case in velocity, shorter powder column than the '06 case and easy to find brass for. The brass I have found to work best so far is Winchester's .257 bob +P cases.
Great consistency/precision with RL19 and/or IMR 4350, and moderately stiff loads out of a 24" light varmint contour yield consistent cloverleaf 100yd groups, @3240 with 120gr Amax.
I am hoping to get started on my 140gr Amax loads this weekend. I may back down to 129/130 class bullets if the 140s aren't great in my 1:9 twist.

I'd look for more case capacity than the Creedmore offers if you are bent on using 140s.

Also, powder capacity is not everything. Take a look at 300Win Mag vs. 300WSM. Some cartridges are more efficient.

If you read recent articles in various mags, this case capacity effeciency thing is a myth and more quality marketing then internal ballistic fact.

When both cases are loaded to the same charge density, pressures and effective barrel lengths, the larger 300WM will go faster in every single bullet weight.

More fuel, more thrust, more obvious the heavier the bullet.

Most factory loads are no where near maximized with lots of room in the case.

This extra case volume was not gone unnoticed and smaller cartridges designed to get closer to 100% load density became a way at showing effeciency.

With the multitude of powders, MOST cases can be run to their fullest potential.

And when you get there....

There is no replacement for displacement.

I shoot a 6.5 Mystic or a 260AI (pretty much the same thing) and push 140gr Berger VLD's just over 2900fps in my F class rigs.

Most 6.5X284 shooters also reach similar velocities but use a case quite a bit larger and burn more powder. They however, load a low density powder which doesn't max the case volume but keeps the bullet in the accuracy node.

So they use a bit more powder to get the same speeds. Not effecient at all.

If they were able to load to the next velocity node, THEN the extra case volume would be of value.

However, accuracy is not always as good so the case is under utlized and yes, INEFFECIENT.

If someone came out with a 'tween powder that would take advantage of the case volume, I bet we will see all 6.5X284s screaming into the 3100fps range leaving the smaller cases in their dust.

Jerry

Depending on the action you plan to use (long/short) a 260 AI with RL17 might surprise you, especially if seated to 3"+ like some of the short actions can handle. The load desity with RL17 in the 260 would be much higher than with the 6.5-284. The results in the 6.5-284 have been very impressive with 150+ fps gains over 4350 and 4831 according several sources including German Salazar.

If you are looking at a long action, a loaded down 6.5-284 would have decent barrel life, especially with faster powders like varget etc. Powder charges down in the mid 40 grain range at moderate pressures would equal great brass life also. I would think similar weight powder charges operating at lower pressures in the 6.5 could probably match the barrel life of the 260 with heavy high pressure charges.

Hornady's idea was to produce a short action cartridge that could load the 160 heavies
and still be magazine length. The sectional densities of a 160 6.5 are
those of a 220 .308 bullet. Makes for a wonderful hunting round with a lot of penetration
and not a lot of recoil. I think eventually this will become one of the top youth gun
rounds.

gun)
The 6.5 Creemoor has surpassed my expectations I bought my almost a year ago and find it the most accurate rifle I have ever shoot. I have been shooting all my life w/ many calibers. now I use my 6.5CM more than anything else. it has the kill power of a 7mm mag with out the sore shoulder. I reload and use 140 gr Hornady with IMR 4005ssc pwdr

the powder hornady load thier super pro rounds is a blend of powders. but I shoot a 139 gr sst using IMR4007ssc at 39gr's and get 2656 f/p its a very satble load and get the job done.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.